Insight Object Restore process

Eric Collins November 13, 2018

Does anyone have a documented process to restore Insight from a JIRA backup in a new instance?

2 answers

1 vote
Nader Nassif
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2018

Hi Eric,

When you restore a Jira backup it will restore your Insight object schemas including your objects, Jira projects, custom fields, ..etc. 

The Jira documentation on the backup process is available on this link

Cheers!

Nader

Eric Collins November 13, 2018

Thank you for the prompt response. 

We restored JIRA in a new environment using an XML export then copied the attachments folder over. After rebooting and re-syncing the schemas/objects are not present. 

Guidance? 

Nader Nassif
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2018

Hi Eric,

In this case can you please create a ticket for me in portal.riada.io ? I will need to thoroughly investigate this as I am doing Jira backups everyday and I get my data intact always.

I will need to read through atlassian_jira.log from before and after your restoration to see if there are errors thus please attach it with the ticket. 

Cheers!

Nader

Brian October 28, 2020

Hi Nader

Did you ever find the reason for Eric's inability to restore Inisght using the XML backup file. 
I might have the same issue, it seems. 

I have a PROD system. Someone messed up and deleted some Insight schema. 
We have daily XML backups. 
But restoring one of those from before the alledged incident, does not seem to recreate the missing objects.
( I know I know, my description is vague, and to be frank, I havent yet been able to get delete-details from anyone yet. So Iøm currently just trying to revers engineere on what I can see in the IFJ tables. A slight up-hil ltask for me ;) ) 

But if you can remember what the issue/cause was in this case and maybe hint me on track?? 

Eric Collins October 28, 2020

@Brian , I ultimately had to recreate everything. I started with bringing up my PROD backup in a dev environment but had to recreate what was deleted. It was a nightmare. From that day forward, I added a css style to the Jira announcement banner to hide the delete option for objectTypes. 

.js-objecttype-action-delete{ display:none;}

I would love to know how you resolve this.

Like Johannes likes this
Brian October 29, 2020

Wow, glad that you manage to fix it!
Your solution is nice, but it should rather be controlled from the administration(?)
My issue is also fixed and avoided hereafter, to the extent that the users now lost the ability to delete Insight stuff to this extent.

Luckily my problem was not so impossible - it turned out that the poor dude who deleted stuff didn't actually remember *when* he might have said "yes" to a prompt from JIRA/Insight, so I people gave me a few possible dates they figured it happened - and I kept restoring data from AFTER his deed.

We went a week longer back, so if they miss data now, they'll know how to re-enter it again now. But we managed to find data, export it via CSV and import it again in PROD.

Thanks for responding!

0 votes
Gia Jgarkava October 26, 2022

Hi everyone.

Just in case you have migrated to Cloud since this thread and are looking for a backup/restore solution for Insight (already Assets), which has a feature of restoring backed up schemas to another cloud instance, here is an app that might be useful - Insight Assets Backup.

You can find more information on the plugin documentation page. Please let me know if you have questions and/or need more information.

Best regards,

Gia

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events