I need to know how to delete the horizontal line macro? There is no Edit or Remove button

Donna Breckenridge May 15, 2019

I have a page, with UI expands, I accidently added the macro horizontal line in between two of my UI sections, but I cannot delete it now.  I have tried everything, including trying to find the source code for it.  I can delete the entire FAQ widget/macro, but really?  I just need the line to go and delete the extra white space.

1 answer

0 votes
Levi May 10, 2020

Hello @Donna Breckenridge,

Try pressing backspace on the next row after the horizontal line. It worked for me for deleting a Horizontal rule in Confluence 6.13.8 with Chrome 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit).

simon.fenney October 15, 2021

Which is fine if the horizontal line is not the last thing on the page, but frustrating if it is.

Is there a way to access some sort of underlying mark-up language to allow me to delete it?

simon.fenney October 15, 2021

FWIW  I managed to replace it with random text which I could then delete.

I'll retract that, it was still there.

Aaron Gage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2022

Bump!  I have 3 lines I can now not remove....

Peter Smithson March 10, 2022

Did anyone ever figure this one out?

Aaron Gage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2022

I did figure out a work around to this.  I opened up the page with the source editor and removed the <hr/> from the code.  Not ideal, but got the job done.

Like # people like this
John Naughton April 29, 2022

Also, if you have a Confluence page with hundreds of horizontal rules <hr/> at the bottom of the page (due to the Confluence content duplication bug) I found this post on stack overflow very helpful:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16099428/chrome-web-inspector-find-and-replace

Alternatively if you want to search and replace in the HTML you could Right ClickEdit as HTML the<body>in the DevTools Elements Panel select all the text with Ctrl+a, paste into your favourite editor, make the change there and paste it back.

First, using the Chrome browser (Firefox probably works as well) open your page in the Confluence editor.  Open the browser developer tools and find the HTML element containing the <hr/>.  Follow the step quoted above.  Then, when you save the page from the Confluence editor the horizontal lines at the bottom of the page will be gone.

Albouy, Sebastien October 5, 2022

Bit late to this but I found that on a mac, I'm able to delete horizontal rules by pressing Function + Backspace while directly in the next row.

Like Sissy Czernik likes this
Sissy Czernik January 26, 2023

@Albouy, SebastienThat's a game changer! Thank you! :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events