How to use IQL to filter a current user to objects specific to a Jira Organization

Matthew Wright July 28, 2019

I am evaluating the Insight - Asset Management CMDB for Jira Cloud and am having difficulty seeing how to set an Asset Type Configuration filter for a Jira Service Desk custom field to only show items the current user should see based upon the Jira Organization they belong to.

For instance, the test user belongs to the 'Test Organization 1' org.  That organization has purchased several software product offerings from the total being offered by 'My Company'.  The total list of offered products are:

Product 1, Product 2, Product 3, Product 4.

The Test Organization 1' org has only purchased Product 1 and Product 3.  The user (aka customer) who logs into the customer portal should then only see those two purchased items in the 'Product to Report' Jira custom field to select what the new service request is for.

I would rather not be forced to duplicate certain data already in Jira such as the Organization of the user as a new attribute of the User object in the CMDB schema that then must be filled at data load time and also maintained.

1 answer

0 votes
David Harkins
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2021

@Matthew Wright Did you manage to find a resolution for this?

I'm in need of the same.

A proposed solution from external consultants has had us duplicate all our users in insight also, meaning we have to do a look up on the user instead, using their organisation relationship in insight.

The down side is, we have to maintain Both Organisations in two places and users in three, an Admin overhead we'd rather not have.

Matthew Wright February 15, 2022

No David, I did not so we didn't select this add-on long ago.  I am re-evaluating Insight functionality now however to see if a move to it will be more helpful than the simple Postgres CI db we implemented instead.

Like David Harkins likes this
David Harkins
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2022

I working on a concept of requesting JIRA Portal access through the portal, which would trigger some script runner scripts to put users into the correct groups based on the services and products that the customer has subscribed to and purchased.

A bit long winded but it should give us what we need.

Will also allow us to capture phone contact details for customers when they are added and populate that detail into Insight.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events