How to fix Jira cloud for Slack options not displayed due to Slack limitations.

Ben Hicks April 21, 2022

We are using the Jira Cloud for Slack integration, and one of our ticket dropdowns does not display all of the prefilled options and states "21 options not displayed due to Slack limitations". Is there any way to remedy this?

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 6.20.39 PM.png

I reached out to Slack support first as it seems clear to me the issue is on their end but they directed me to Atlassian support for a resolution.

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ben Hicks April 29, 2022

This is the updated response I received from Slack support when pushed on the matter:

"...It does look like Atlassian has implemented functionality to get around the limitation as the message that's displayed in the screenshot is a design choice on their end. However, we'd need Atlassian to get in touch with us as we require further information about what they've implemented and what Slack features they've used, so that we can gather sufficient detail either to pass on feedback to our product team or to help them work around the limitation properly."

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2022

Ah, interesting! I'll pass this along to our integration team and see what they come back with. Thanks for following up with Slack!

Like Ben Hicks likes this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2022

I've had a chat with our integration developers. Previously when I mentioned that typing should get the data to re-fetch, I was mistaken. The current implementation uses a statically defined multi-select list (with the limit of 100). Our developers confirmed the app would have to use a dynamically-defined list to overcome this limit, which would create problems for custom fields that had fewer options.

A hybrid approach is a possibility (the app could figure out how large the custom field is, and then choose which Slack UI element to use based on that), but would be somewhat time-consuming to implement. Therefore, I've created a feature request for this: API-536 .

Just to set your expectations, this feature request is not likely to be prioritized over other work that's currently on the roadmap. Nonetheless, please watch the feature request to get any updates about it.

Thanks,
Daniel

Like Ben Hicks likes this
0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
April 22, 2022

Hi @Ben Hicks , welcome to the Community!

This message is displayed when more values are returned than Slack can display in a particular spot. For a multi-select list like this, the option limit in Slack is currently 100. So I'm assuming that you've got 121 possible values in the "Client" custom field.

If you start typing in this field (rather than scrolling down), the list options should re-fetch. You won't be able to see more than 100 items in the dropdown still, but just typing even one or two characters in the field should narrow down the results so that the option you're after is displayed.

Cheers,
Daniel

Ben Hicks April 25, 2022

Hi @Daniel Eads ,

I appreciate the response! Unfortunately, when I attempt this work around, I only get  another error message and the hidden options are still not displayed.

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 9.06.53 AM.png

Like Anita Cheung likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events