How do I update the "parent link" for an issue using automation?

Jamie Dang September 9, 2019

Currently trying to automate the linkage of a Program Epic to a Portfolio Epic as they get created. However, project automation does not support editing the Parent Link field. Am I missing something?

Another alternative I explored was to create a URL to create a new issue, but when I try to get the custom field populated with the JIRA ID of the Portfolio Epic, the Parent Link field does not pre-populate. 

2 answers

1 vote
Deleted user September 10, 2019

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for reaching out. You can edit the Parent Link field using the Additional fields of our Edit Issue action. This will look something like this: 

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 2.26.05 pm.pngHope this helped! Feel free to reach out if you need anything else or if this is not what you're looking for.

Cheers,

Jane (Automation for Jira)

Jamie Dang September 10, 2019

Hi Jane,

I'm using the following:

{
"fields": {
"customfield_10402": {{issue.XXX-111}}
}
}

The automation runs successfully according to the logs but it does not seem to actually update the field. 

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Jamie

Like Filippe Carvalho likes this
Deleted user September 11, 2019

Hi Jamie,

Are you able to please check to see that this custom field is on the Edit Issue screen?

If you're still having difficulty, please feel free to raise a support ticket so we can help you look into this further.

Cheers,

Jamie Dang September 11, 2019

Hi Jane,

It's not available in automation but I can see the field when I'm editing a JIRA issue. 

parent link automation.PNGparent link edit issue.PNG

Deleted user September 15, 2019

Hi Jamie,

Sorry for the delay in my response. Are you able to raise a support ticket so I can have a look at this for you closer? If you can also include a screenshot of your rule config and your audit log please.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Cheers,

Marc Mastromonico February 11, 2020

Was there ever a resolution for this issue?

Like # people like this
Brett Kaminski March 25, 2020

I'm also having this exact same issue but with populating the "Epic Link". Logs show successful but the story isnt added to the parent epic.

Kinjal Patel September 27, 2020

Also facing the same issue. Was this ever resolved?

Like Marc Mastromonico likes this
Kinjal Patel September 28, 2020

I've found out that this does not work as you can't link a EPIC as a Parent to an EPIC. The {{triggerIssue.key}} works fine but it returns the EPIC Key not the Parent key. This is why there are no errors in the automation. However, I've yet to figure out how to return the Parent Link key.

Like Marc Mastromonico likes this
0 votes
Richard Herrada October 14, 2022

For anyone still looking at this, I think I figured out a solution.

cc: @Jamie Dang @[deleted] @Marc Mastromonico 

Scenario:

• When someone uses the link type "is parent / child"
  • Check to see if one of the issues types being linked is an initiative
  • If one of them is an initiative:
    • For the "Trigger Issue" edit fields "Parent Link"
    • For the "Destination Issue" edit fields "Parent Link"

Note: If you are in an Initiative and try to link it to an Epic, the rule will try to have the initiative be the parent of itself. Since that is not possible it shouldn't matter and the rule is still successful.

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 12.36.35 PM.png

Here is some additional details:

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 12.36.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-14 at 12.36.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-14 at 12.36.59 PM.png

Shout out to @Mark Segall who helped me with a different issue, but also helps solve this one! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events