How do I get Answers to stop spamming to accept an answer?

Joe Murray November 1, 2013

I have two replies to a question I asked, and neither are very good. I keep getting spam from Answers to accept one of them, and I can't see an option to turn that off while still getting notifications for any other answers posted.

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Dennis Kromhout van der Meer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2013

You guys are totally right, this situation needs to be improved. I marked this issue to be solved for our next release: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ANSWERS-1262

I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2013

Thank you Joe for bringing this issue forward and a major thank you to Dennis for seeing the need so quickly.

1 vote
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2013

Hi Joe,

you could close the answer (500 karma required) or (with your karma level) you can add an answer by yourself and accept that answer.

Cheers, Udo

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2013

Joe's comment is valid though. Why should he need to create a 'fake' answer? Joe is a new user and why should he need to think about how to turn off email notifications because they are annoying him.

Would it not be better to mark a question as no answer solved my issue yet as a state/flag of the question?. When a new answer is posted this state/flag would be turned off.

I posted an improvement to answers for this type of feature since it makes perfect sense from an end user perspective.

I don't actually have an answer that I could add, other than 'Still waiting for a good answer.'

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2013

I like Norman's idea of a flag which is reset when another answer/comment is added. If there is no answer that is good enough, it doesn't make sense to repeatedly asking the user to accept one or to create a dummy one.

Then there is the other side of the coin where people get a good answer, says thank you and never accepts the answer in spite of the all the mails ;)

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2013

There are a few potential solutions to the inconsiderate user, but that is a different question.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2013

Joe, it is true that this is not the solution you are looking for. But currently there is no other way you can get rid of being spamed.

I totally agree that there must be another solution, and Normans idea would solve this issue. I like that too.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2013

You can't do it. I'm afraid you need to accept one of the answers.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2013

Because there is no other option.

It's a known flaw in Answers - they really want you to get an Answer and hence be able to mark it correct, which is why it spams you. But there's no support for "there is no satisfactory answer and it doesn't look like there will be one".

I'd like to see something that says "never going to be answered" that can be set by the poster, but only after they've had a few responses and a bit of time.

Why should I if they aren't good for me or for other users with the same question? Just to stop _me_ getting irritating spam?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events