How do I configure git branch naming

smshuja September 15, 2019

I have added the Git Integration for Jira App from the marketplace. However when I try creating a branch, it selects master by default and has a XYZ-issue-name as the default branch name. 

Is there a way to customize this behaviour such that.

• Feature/task should default to develop branch
  • Hotfix should default to master branch
  • Branch name for features should be feature/XYZ-issue-name
  • Branch name for hotfix should be hotfix/XYZ-issue-name

I spent hours looking for a way to configure this, but to no avail.

Any help around this would be appreciated much.

Thank you

2 answers

1 vote
Adam Wride
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2019

For Jira Cloud - this feature is pending.

For Jira Server/Data Center - we have the following global setting in the General settings page:

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 21.37.06.png

jamesmortensen May 4, 2023

Hi @Adam Wride is this feature still pending or is it implemented?  Our organization has naming conventions for branch names, and it would increase productivity if we can copy the branch name and commit message format directly from Jira.

Adam Wride
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2023

Hi @jamesmortensen - thanks for reaching out. Indeed - this is available on Cloud now.

You will need to install Git Integration for Jira Cloud and (once you have your git repos connected) then go the General settings and adjust the branch name template as needed.

If you have any trouble - contact us at support@gitkraken.com

CleanShot2023-05-04 at 10.26.33@2x.png

0 votes
Duran September 11, 2023

In addition, I'd love to customize the `issue-key` placeholder.

screenshot_2023-09-11_at_14_50_00.png

To remove the hyphen from `abc-123` making it `abc123`

My CI/CD tools don't like the hyphen in here....

Sebastiaan Speck
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 13, 2023

It would be useful if we could choose from all fields to add as branch name format

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events