How can user reuse test from different projects

Srinivas chopurala July 17, 2013

Hi

I have Zephyr integrated with JIRA 5 and am able to create test cases, map with business requirements and execute the test cases in Test cycle without any issues.

However, now I have scenario where I need to reuse test cases from another project.

To detail:

In JIRA, I have “Project A” and I have few test cases (ex: 10 test cases)

I have another project say “Project B” and I have other set of test cases (ex: 20 test cases)

Now I want to create a test cycle (Ex: Regression Test cycle) under “Project B” and add test cases from both “Project A” and “Project B”.

Could you please guide me how this is possible. I directly tried add test cases from “Project A” to the test cycle created under “Project B”, but as expected test cases are not getting added.

Thanks,

Srinivas Chopurala

8 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2013

Hi Srinivas,

One other thing; I am going to add this idea to our feature request list. This way our product team can review it for a future release.

Kind Regads,

Emily

Srinivas chopurala July 21, 2013

Thank You Emily!!!

Guess would be a useful feature in JIRA.

Thanks,

Srinivas Chopurala

Like Edu Chuecos likes this
Ashish Sharma March 6, 2017

Hi Srinivas chopurala,

Did you find any solution on fetching test cases from one project to another. I am having same kind of requirement where i want to use my test cases in different projects.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/46088948

Kindly share if you have any solution to meet my requirement.

Regards,

Ashish

Chanisa (Fern) Suwannarang June 22, 2018

@Emily Schneider Do you finish this feature yet ? this year is 2018

Peter Kanaga December 13, 2018

Hi All,

Any update on this. We are also looking in to the exact solution. Please let us know if there is a solution or any work around

Regards

Peter

Edu Chuecos February 25, 2019

Any update on this? 

Is a really problem when you need to use the same test in multiples projects because you need to clone it for each project and if the test needs to be modified, you need to modifiy into all the projects.

2 votes
Srinivas chopurala July 18, 2013

Thanks Emily for detailed clarification.

However, I have couple of points:

1) When we export text cases (>20 test cases) from Project A and import those test cases to Project B, we would lose the traceability between the test cases and Business requirements and these test cases will not be able to link to any requirements to verify in Project B.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

2) “Could you please guide me how this is possible. I directly tried add test cases from “Project A” to the test cycle created under “Project B”, but as expected test cases are not getting added.”

As you detailed above, I am currently adding test cases from one test cycle to another of same Project (Project A) and executing the test cases.

However, currently, I need to add test cases from "Test cycle" located under “Project A”, to the "Test cycle" located under “Project B” and this is throwing error message

"These tests could not be added. Belongs to another project"

So, from your explaination I guess, there is no way to add test cases from test Cycle located under "Project A" to "Test Cycle" located under "Project B". Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Thanks,

Srinivas Chopurala

1 vote
Shirley Rivera July 7, 2020

Is there a future enhancements in place already to be able to reuse test cases from Project A into Project B - and then create New Test Cycle in Project B - for better visibility & traceability.

1 vote
jared_brown November 19, 2019

Is there a resolution for this. We have several tests that we need to reuse. We are left either duplicating the same test over and over and over and over and over again at infinitum, or leaving tests marked open and having to then dig in on each test to validate it has been run against the current sprint\test cycle. What is the best practice in this situation???

1 vote
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2013

Hi Srinivas,

In Zephyr for JIRA you can not do any sharing between projects. The only thing you can do between projects is you can move a single test case from one project to another. For example if you want to move a test case from project A to project B you can do that using JIRA's issue navigator. By going into the issue navigator and searching for the test case you want to move, when the test case appears select the gear to the right of the test case. In the drop down select 'move' and follow JIRA's instructions to move the test case to a different project.

If you do want to use many test cases that exist in one project in another, you can always export out the test cases. For example if you have test cases in project B that you want to use in project A, in project B go to the issue navigator and search for the test cases you want to export. Once you have found them do an export on them to an excel file (exporting from the issue navigator means you will also get the individual test steps). Then you can use the Zephyr for JIRA tests utility importer to import those test steps into project A.

You can download the Zephyr for JIRA tests utility importer and its documentation at the link below:

http://community.yourzephyr.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1048

Also, it looks like you were trying to move test cases from one cycle to another all in Project A is that correct? --"Could you please guide me how this is possible. I directly tried add test cases from “Project A” to the test cycle created under “Project A”, but as expected test cases are not getting added."

The test cases should get added. If you are moving test cases from one cycle to another (both in project A), by selecting the gear to the right of the test cycle and clicking "Add Tests" it will take you to a screen with three options. The bottom option on the left is "from another cycle". Select that and go ahead and add the tests from one cycle to another. If you are having trouble doing this please let us know and we can troubleshoot why this is not working.

Kind Regards,
Emily

Sanwar Mal November 11, 2019

Correct answer!

Like Otto Mohr likes this
0 votes
Paul French May 5, 2017

Not an answer, but have the same issue now - did you resolve this?

0 votes
Ashish Sharma March 6, 2017

Hi Srinivas chopurala,

Did you find any solution on fetching test cases from one project to another. I am having same kind of requirement where i want to use my test cases in different projects.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/46088948

Kindly share if you have any solution to meet my requirement.

Regards,

Ashish

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 18, 2013

Hi Srinivas,

You are correct. There is not a way to add test cases from a cycle in Project A to a Cycle in Project. The only way this can be done is through exporting the test cases from one projects and importing then into the other project. Linking can only be done within a project. Not across projects.

Kind Regards,

Emily

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events