Executing a testcase from zephyr for jira

Jan Hordes March 18, 2014

We have just purchased Jira with the Zephyr for Jira add-on. I am looking into integrating Test Case management with our Hudson server. I have created a project and added test cases to that product. I would now like to associate an actual test with that test case and trigger that test on my Hudson server, then update the results on Jira. I assume that Zapi 1.0 can be used to update the test results on the Jira server.

Can I trigger a test to Execute from Test case management? I am not referring to marking the test "Pass/Fail", but actually scheduling a command to run that could trigger starting a test on the Hudson server? If so, are there any additional add-ons required?

I have seen responses to this question, but not sure if new functionality was added for the latest releases of Jira/Zephyr for Jira/Zapi.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2014

Hi Jan,

To start off, neither Zephyr for JIRA or ZAPI integrate with automation tools. What is offered through ZAPI, however, is the ability to leverage web-services API to add and edit entities in Zephyr for JIRA through a coding language.

There is no way built into Zephyr for JIRA to associate a test to an outside test case. However, you can update test results in Zephyr for JIRA via ZAPI. Finally, no scheduling capabilities exist currently.

What you may be looking for is a CI implementation where you create, run, and update the tests all in one go from a outside program you have created. The below blog link may help better understand this idea.

See our previous ZAPI webinar here:

http://blogs.yourzephyr.com/?p=3106

Regards,

Daniel

0 votes
Anand Sridharan May 27, 2014

Hi Jan,

I would probably write a script to

1. Change the testcase status through ZAPI to 'In progress'.

2. Use Remote build feature on jenkins to trigger the test of interest on jenkins

3. Update the test result from Jenkins to Jira through ZAPI to pass/fail etc.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anand.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events