Default noformat macro disabled on restart with Jira Syntax Highlighter installed

Chris Heerschap August 12, 2014

We have the jira Syntax Highlighter installed on our installation, but prefer the default noformat functionality, so I disabled the noformat module of Jira Syntax Highlighter and re-enabled the system default one (Wiki Renderers Plugin)

This works, but when I restart Jira, the default noformat becomes disabled again - although the Jira Syntax Highlighter doesn't get re-enabled, so neither is active and any use of "noformat" breaks. We have to manually re-enable the system default version after restarting Jira. Is there something in the Jira Syntax Highlighter which causes the system default to be fail? Can this be removed so we don't have to remember to re-enable it after a restart?

3 answers

0 votes
Phillip Ponzer [Cprime]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2014
Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2014

What's the reason, why you want to continue to use JIRAs standard {noformat} macro and don't want to use JIRA Syntax Highlighter also for {noformat}?

Phillip Ponzer [Cprime]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2014

I personally don't have a problem with your noformat macro, it's just that the users are used to the native noformat macro and don't want to see it change. When they see it change (or not work at all due to it being disabled after a restart) they think that JIRA is broken. Personally, I feel like your plugin should really be two separate plugins so that folks have a bit more flexibility. Either that or make it configurable such that the noformat macro can be disabled in favor of the native noformat macro.

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2014

But this is the same change as you had, when introducing {code} in your JIRA instance. There is a change in layout because of the plugin and this has to be communicated to the users so that they understand that the new layout of {noformat} is not a bug. :-)

Phillip Ponzer [Cprime]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2015

I don't think you understand. Users want flexibility. I agree this isn't a bug. It is, however, an improvement and a convenience on the JIRA Admins. Admins don't want to enable a plugin that shouldn't be getting disabled and users don't want to see changes to something that they already know and love (JIRA's native "noformat" macro). With that said, I think a reasonable change would be to make your noformat macro look exactly like JIRA's noformat macro. Doing that would make this a non-issue as well.

0 votes
Chris Heerschap August 14, 2014

Two things make us prefer the standard noformat:

1. We don't need the line numbers. I know this is being addressed in the newer version. I was unable to get noformat|hide-linenum working, either, so we had to revert to code:sh|hide-linenum to approximate the no line numbers functionality of the default.
  2. Some of our tickets involve extremely long pastes of logfiles and such. The default noformat handles this with a set size panel that has scroll bars, vs. having the entire text visible. This keeps tickets visually more compact.

Thanks!

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2014

Can you check if 1. is now fine with version 2.0.0? For 2. I will have a look. I was not aware of this automatically introduced vertical scroll bars for long code blocks.

Chris Heerschap September 18, 2014

The line numbers were addressed in 2.0.0, but the long scroll bars was still the case. My users are keen to remind me after we upgraded. Oddly enough, noformat was listed as disabled but still seemed to be working. Had to enable/disable it and then re-enable the system default to get that to work.

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2014

I was not aware of this max-height: 30em; of the standard JIRA noformat and code renderer. Please follow and comment here for this enhancement request for the plugin. https://bitbucket.org/hski/syntaxplugin-public/issue/12 (The issue actually startet with introducing a new parameter for height.) Hope that this would fix your concerns about have JIRA Syntax Highlighter noformat macro enabled. Cheers, Holger

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2014

Version 2.1.0 with max-height: 30em; to add vertical scroll bar for very long code or noformat blocks as been released.

Chris Heerschap September 25, 2014

Installed it, re-disabled the system default and enabled yours, and the users I asked seemed happy with it. Personally the only quibble I have is that the stock one had a slightly darker background which made it stand out, but the users didn't mind that too much. Other than that, it looks good, thank you!

Kelly Schoenhofen
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2014

Yeah - the gray/darker background was noticed by the users and the permanent horizontal and vertical scrollbars being present when they aren't needed. Other than that, it looks good and resolves our issue with it disabling the built in wiki {noformat} when its own {noformat} was already disabled.

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2014

Do you still have the problem of unneeded permanent vertical and horizontal scrollbars? From my point of view this should be fixed (but testing all browsers and operation systems is not possible for me...)

0 votes
Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2014
This might be a side effect or bug in the automatic enabling of the plugin resp. automatic deactivation of the standard macro by JIRA Syntax Highlighter. Will have look at this problem after current development of verdion 2.0.0. May I ask, why you prefer the standard noformat? Cheers, Holger
Chris Heerschap August 14, 2014

Two things make us prefer the standard noformat:

1. We don't need the line numbers. I know this is being addressed in the newer version. I was unable to get noformat|hide-linenum working, either, so we had to revert to code:sh|hide-linenum to approximate the no line numbers functionality of the default.
  2. Some of our tickets involve extremely long pastes of logfiles and such. The default noformat handles this with a set size panel that has scroll bars, vs. having the entire text visible. This keeps tickets visually more compact.

Thanks!

Kelly Schoenhofen
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2014

We're the same way - we love everything but {noformat}, so we get bit by the whole "upgrade Jira or the plugin, restart and {noformat} is disabled in both places" issue. I invariably forget to re-enable the system wiki {noformat} and the kind, gentle users I work with nicely remind me the next day. (Hello Hector, I know you're going to read this ;)) -Kelly G. Schoenhofen

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events