Create checklist from customField contents upon issue creation.

Tor Magne Svendsen February 9, 2021

Hi. 

We have received a request to add a checklist to an issue upon its creation. My initial thoughts were to create a multiline checklist customfield, where the items in the customfield becomes the checklist. 

I can create a checklist via the YAML field and a single value customfield. But if there are several values required to actually make a checklist. How do I do this with automation? 

I need the Yaml?, because the issues are a logg and will reflect what has been done, and the checklist items will be checked/done. 

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tor Magne Svendsen February 9, 2021

After posting my question, I tried a few things on my own. 

I knew the main problem was iterating through the list items and create a check list entry for each. I thought I needed to use the YAML field to create lists with options checked or unchecked (checked: true).   

Using the Check List Text field I was able to create the check list from values in the Select List field. I first used the smart fields: 

{{#customfield_101xx}}* [done] {{.}}{{^last}}\n{{/}}{{/}}

trying to make a vertical list of check items. I couldn't figure out how to insert a new line in every iteration of the select list values. 

CheckList one line.png

Then I saw something in a description of making bullet lists with smart values :) and made this: 

--- Informert
{{#customfield_10142}}
* [done] {{.}}
{{/}}

which made a vertical list of check list items pre-checked. 

checklist.png

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 9, 2021

Hello @Tor Magne Svendsen,

I can see that the question is related to Issue Checklist Free

You can find examples of the YAML checklist in the app documentation pages

Instead of YAML, you can also use a more human-friendly Text format.

When comes to the manipulating checklist through automation, we have plenty of examples in our docs too: https://herocoders.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/IC/pages/818937870/Jira+built-in+automation

Let us know if that helps.

Cheers,
Jack

Gomez_ Daniel June 2, 2023

Hey Jack, when automating a checklist into a newly created issue, is it possible to hide the checklist text in the custom field and only show it in the checklist?

Gracjan Wesołowski _HeroCoders_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2023

Hi @Gomez_ Daniel 

my name is Gracjan, and I'm Customer Success Expert at HeroCoders, the team behind the Issue Checklist app.

In most cases, you do not need the Checklist Text custom field on the issue screen in order to have the automation working.

You can use Checklist Templates and labels integration to automatically add a checklist to the issue, without using the Checklist Text field. For details, please refer to this documentation. 

Or you can use Default Templates to add a checklist without even using the automation.

If that doesn't suit your needs, please describe your use case, so I can help you out further with the configuration.

Cheers!
Gracjan

Like Gomez_ Daniel likes this
bas.heemskerk July 20, 2023

Hello Gracjan,

I want to make an Automation rule so that if all boxes are tagged within the Checklist.text field, automatically transitons the item towards te new status or to Done.
Can you help me out? We have a minimum of 3 tagboxes within the Checklist.Text Field.

Thanks in advanced.
Greetings 
Bas

Gracjan Wesołowski _HeroCoders_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2023

Hi @bas.heemskerk

I understand that you want to transition the issue to different status, when all items in the checklist are completed, is that correct?

In that case, you can use Checklist Completed custom field. Please see the automation configuration below:

automation1.pngautomation2.pngautomation3.png

Let me know if that's what you expected.

Cheers!

Gracjan

Like # people like this
Wojciech Wardaszko _HeroCoders_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2023

@Gracjan Wesołowski _HeroCoders_ One thing to keep in mind with this approach: 

The option to Save local checklist items to Jira custom fields has to be enabled for this to work.

Cheers!

bas.heemskerk July 21, 2023

Thank you both!!!I thought that if I'm using "Checklist.text" I needed another solution....

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events