Copy Actions within same Automation Rule

Arun Makhija April 8, 2018

I have created a Automation Rule, which gets triggered when a specific type of Issue is created.

The rule needs to create more than 10 Sub-tasks for the triggering issue

the fields being set for these 10 sub-tasks are same except name and I have to do these values set repeatedly (fields like assignee, reporter, priority etc.)

Is there a way I can copy the 1st action I created 10 times and just change the name ?

8 answers

2 votes
Natalia Golikova January 5, 2021

Hey,

It will be very helpful to have an opportunity to copy the tasks inside the rule.

It is a lot of work to create almost the same tasks with subtasks every time.

For example, I have a task to deploy a feature and 5 sub-tasks. Now I need 4 different features with almost the same subtasks. It is time consuming.

Thanks,

Natalia

2 votes
Anand October 25, 2020

I would love this feature. I am creating a bunch of issues via action which more or less similary and it would be great if I can copy these actions. :(

1 vote
Sherryl Radbil November 29, 2021

On Apr 09, 2018 Mark wrote:

"since they're usually pretty quick to create and once you do and it's a do once and your done kinda thing."

I do agree with "your done kinda thing", but not with pretty quick to create.

I have to create a lot of tickets in a Epic that are similar and set 10 custom fields each. Most of the custom field values are the same, with only 2 differing. If I could have copied the component that would have saved a ton of time.

I believe this ticket is related: JIRAAUTOSERVER-261 Ability to copy components when creating/updating a rule

Please vote for that, I'm surprised that at this moment there are only 3 votes.

1 vote
Deleted user April 9, 2018

Hey there Arun,

There's no real way to copy components of a rule since they're usually pretty quick to create and once you do and it's a do once and your done kinda thing.

If you really need to you could use the "Advanced fields" section which uses Jira's JSON format directly. That would be easier to copy and paste between the components. https://docs.codebarrel.io/automation/smart-fields/advanced-fields.html

Cheers,

Mark C

Arun Makhija April 9, 2018

Thank you Mark.

I could and have tried the Advanced field but faced a challenge in setting and using Multi-Value field like Labels

I used below to set labels from the Parent issue, but if the parent has multiple labels, it errors out. for e.g. Label1,Label2. somehow it doesn't like the Comma

"labels": [ "{{issue.fields.labels}}" ],

But when I used the fields, it copies the whole Labels value to the child Issue

Any clue or suggestions ?

Regards

Arun

Jesse Hamburger May 4, 2022

For what it's worth, they are definitely not that quick to create, especially if you're creating dozens across multiple rules.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Paul Campbell February 21, 2023

If you would like this added functionality vote here for it: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/AUTO-29

0 votes
Wim Matthijs February 8, 2023

We are creating QA scenario tasks for our QA.
each task has to inherit some stuff from an epic and needs to be properly assigned and so on, some labels and stuff.
using smart values to makes sure it all make sense.
Just timed it and it takes 2 minutes for one simple task. (manually copying all the info)
We are running hundreds of scenarios.....
Please upvote 

0 votes
Ana Galofre Smith February 2, 2023

Same here! Is there a cloud ticket we can vote on?

Paul Campbell February 21, 2023
0 votes
Patrick Van Tassell August 16, 2022

I would love this too.  Just created 8 separate Rules just so I didn't have to copy paste the actions.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events