Comala Workflow - provide assignable approval with default assignment

Michael Metivier August 1, 2019

Our users are requesting a workflow with an approval that defaults assignment to a specific user, but also allows reassignment in case that user cannot perform the approval because of vacation or some reason.  So, for example:

- automatically assign to User1
- give option for "Assign"
- have list of "User1", "User2", "User3" as possible assign options

I've looked at combinations of the "user=&", "assignable", and "selectedapprovers" parameters, but they don't appear to operate in the manner that I had hoped.

Does anyone if this is an available functionality?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daryl Karan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2019

Hi Michael, 

Thanks for your post and sorry about the delay in responding. 

In order work with an approval that defaults assignment to a specific user/group but also allows for reassignment you'll need to use a combination of Workflow parameters(here's more information on Workflowparameters macro) and the assignable function(here's more information on the approval macro). 

We have our out of the box Editor and Staff approval workflow that should meet your needs. All you'll need to do is update your Workflowparameter Confluence groups. 

{workflow:name=Editor and staff approval workflow|key=spaceworkflow-1698041952|disabled=true}
{description}
The Publishing Workflow has four states.
Ready: Edited by Staff. Reviewed: Reviewed by Managers. Published: Approved by Editor-in-Chief & viewable publicly.
You can define the Reviewer and Editor-in-Chief in the Space Admin Workflow Configuration.
{description}
{workflowparameter:Reviewers|description=Reviewers group|type=group}
confluence-users
{workflowparameter}
{workflowparameter:Editor in Chief|description=User able to give final approval|type=user}
@User@@
{workflowparameter}
{state:Draft|submit=Ready}
{state}
{state:Ready|approved=Reviewed|rejected=Draft}
{approval:Review|assignable=true|group=@Reviewers@}
{state}
{state:Reviewed|approved=Published|rejected=Ready}
{approval:Editor in Chief|final=true|user=@Editor in Chief@}
{state}
{state:Published|final=true|rejected=Reviewed|updated=Ready|hideselection=true}
{state}
{trigger:pageapproved|approval=Review}
{send-email:user=@Editor in Chief@|subject=Page ready for final approval}
The page @pagetTeng@ has been approved by [~@user@] and is waiting for your final approval.
{pageactivity}
{send-email}
{trigger}
{workflow}

I hope this helps. 

Have a great weekend. 

Daryl Karan
Pre-Sales Engineer 
Comalatech

Michael Metivier August 19, 2019

Please excuse me if I'm misunderstanding the workflow example you provided, but I don't see how that actually implements the request I made.  What I'm looking for is a single approval that is auto-assigned to a default user, but is also reassignable if that user is unavailable.  The workflow you've pasted has an assignable group approval and a separate single user approval, which is not actually what I'm looking for.

Daryl Karan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2019

Good Morning Michael,

Thanks for clarifying your requirements.

At this time there is no way to re-assign an auto-assignment. Having said that, here are 3 work-arounds that may work for you: 
1. admin override - we recommend this, they can set-up additional admin in the workflow markup 
2. add update in the state to transition the page to the previous state. Only enter will transition the page
{state:Reviewed|approved=Published|rejected=Ready|updated=Ready}
{approval:Editor in Chief|user=&@Editor in Chief@}
{state}
3. To transition the page to Vacation state if you add a label
{trigger:labeladded|label=vacation|state=Reviewed}
{set-state:Vacation}
{remove-label:@label@}
{trigger}

{workflow:name=Editor and staff approval workflow|key=com.comalatech.sample.approvals.02}
{description}
The Publishing Workflow has four states.
Ready: Edited by Staff. Reviewed: Reviewed by Managers. Published: Approved by Editor-in-Chief & viewable publicly.
You can define the Reviewer and Editor-in-Chief in the Space Admin Workflow Configuration.
{description}
{workflowparameter:Reviewers|description=Reviewers group|type=group}
confluence-users
{workflowparameter}
{workflowparameter:Editor in Chief|description=User able to give final approval|type=user|edit=true}
confluenceadmin
{workflowparameter}
{state:Draft|submit=Ready}
{state}
{state:Ready|approved=Reviewed|rejected=Draft}
{approval:Review|assignable=true|group=@Reviewers@}
{state}
{state:Reviewed|approved=Published|rejected=Ready|updated=Ready}
{approval:Editor in Chief|user=&@Editor in Chief@}
{state}
{state:Vacation|approved=Published|rejected=Ready|hidefrompath=true}
{approval:Vacation Approval|selectedapprovers=confluence-users}
{state}
{state:Published|final=true|rejected=Reviewed|updated=Ready|hideselection=true}
{state}
{trigger:labeladded|label=vacation|state=Reviewed}
{set-state:Vacation}
{remove-label:@label@}
{trigger}
{workflow}
The label is also removed in labeladded trigger
I hope this helps. If you need any further help. Please contact our support at support@comalatech.com  
Best Regards, 
Daryl Karan
Comalatech

Like James Conway likes this
Michael Metivier August 23, 2019

Thank you very much for your response, Daryl.  We had arrived at something similar, as well.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events