Cannot connect to CSV file when importing to Insight

Michael Gaskin July 27, 2018

When we attempt to upload a CSV file into Insight, we are not able to proceed past the Create Import Configuration screen due to an error message that states "Failed to connect to the CSV file specified." 

We can see that the file is present in the "Files" tab for the object schema being used.

Does anyone know of possible causes for this error?DTNS.PNG

4 answers

3 votes
orvarg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 15, 2018

I'm having the same issue, some of my files just refuse to import, others are successfully imported without any issue.. It would be good to get some information about this from the devs.

Sean M December 14, 2018

I had this problem and it was caused by a blank value in the CSV's header row. eg

title,summary,,description

I changed it to

title,summary,something,description

and I was able to continue. A more descriptive error wouldn't go wrong...

Jimmy Van (GLiNTECH)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2019

Thanks Sean! :)

1 vote
Miguel Hernandez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 16, 2019

I found out something else in this issue. I was having the same problem and I found out I was saving my csv file as csv delimited with "," but not in UTF-8 format

0 votes
Joeri Jansen September 8, 2020

I just found out that quotes around the headers / values are also a reason for this error to popup... (is valid CSV, but not supported apparently)

0 votes
Hans June 12, 2020

I'm having this issue as well. I have saved the file with UTF-8 encoding, and it is delimited with "," but keeps giving the same error.

If i change the delimiter in the import settings to ";" instead, it accepts the configuration, but then it is read incorrectly (all columns in 1 column, not delimited).

Please help!

EDIT:

I found out what the problem was. There was a random zero in the file under an empty unnamed header. So two criteria to take away for csv import to work:

1. unique column headers (file will not be read if two columns are the same or have the same title)
  2. no empty column headers, and all cells under empty column headers are empty (file will not be read if a column header is empty, but there is 1 or more cells with data in them)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events