Can I install a Server only app in a Data Center instance?

Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 29, 2021

I feel I should know this, but the Server EOL timeline keeps moving and I'm unsure where we stand on this particular issue.

We have released an app in Server and working on the DC version.

I have the following doubts:

• Can we instruct evaluators with Data Center instances to try the app on Server for now?
  • Will the be able to purchase? Can they convert to DC when the app becomes available?

Have been trying to find docu on this but found nothing recent. This note for example refers to migration scenarios, which is not really the case.

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2021

Hi Capi,

From the end user perspective, it is technically possible to install a server app into a Data Center instance.  But that said, the Atlassian Marketplace is setup in such a way to prevent users in Data Center accidentally installing a server app, when that app's marketplace listing has a corresponding data center edition available.  When there is no data center specific edition to an app, then the Universal Plugin Manager (UPM) in Jira Data Center will still permit admins to install server plugins to data center sites.

As for whether or not you can redirect users to prevent them installing your server app to a data center install, I don't know of a way to make that happen within Jira and the UPM at this time.  I would suggest raising a support case with our Marketplace team about your concerns.  You can do this over in https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/9/group/30

Perhaps creating a support case about your concerns could help our team to find a solution here. 

Andy

Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 7, 2021

Thanks for the feedback @Andy Heinzer! I guess it's safe for us to keep the current journey for Data Center customers until the app is also DC approved.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2021

@Capi [resolution] 

My guess is that they would be able to install a server app on data center manually.  If you have a new app and you would like your end users to have a good experience I would suggest waiting until it is compatible for data center so they do not experience any issues like those described in the linked document.   I have escalated to Atlassian so they can provide additional insight.

Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
April 5, 2021

Thanks, @Brant Schroeder ! Let's see whether someone from Atlassian can comment on this.

0 votes
Lukas Gotter _ Meetical
Marketplace Partner
November 15, 2022

Related question: Can customers install Data Center Apps on Server? Our App is available for DC only and the customer asks if they can use it on their Server (until they upgrade in 2024). 

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2023

@Lukas Gotter _ Meetical From previous experience I can say: it worked. I cannot tell if it works with EVERY app.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events