Bugs in Quantify TimeSpent?

ST Kambor-Wiesenberg January 25, 2019

Hi!

I installed Quantify TimeSpent in my JIRA Cloud.

Normally I recieve 504 Gateway Time-out when I klick on "Quantify".

Sometimes I see the Quantify view but the displayed values are wrong or empty. E.g. it displays I logged 49 minutes in a Issue I don't logged time at this day. When I have a look in the issue directly, there is no logged time. And I never logged 49M?

Are there known bugs with this plugin?

Thanks and regards,
Stephan

1 answer

0 votes
George Mihailoff January 25, 2019

@ST Kambor-Wiesenberg thank for your comment. Really.

I installed Quantify TimeSpent in my JIRA Cloud.

👍

Normally I recieve 504 Gateway Time-out when I klick on "Quantify".

We had some performance issues. Sorry to hear that. Add-on is fully supported and while things happen issues like this are getting resolved in a reasonable time.

Sometimes I see the Quantify view but the displayed values are wrong or empty. E.g. it displays I logged 49 minutes in a Issue I don't logged time at this day. When I have a look in the issue directly, there is no logged time. And I never logged 49M?

Now, this is the most important part. It is not a bug. Quantify analyzes Jira data to automatically calculate the time spent for you. No more manual logging.

We can debate what is more accurate -- manual tracking when often people end up making things up. I'm sure you are a responsible person, but on the whole team level, it depends. Some people are better with it, some not good at all. 

While our approach isn't perfect (and never will be) it produces consistent and scalable results that are very effective for a number of use cases.

Could you please describe your use case in more details (not how you track, but why you track) so we can check whether it will be applicable.

ST Kambor-Wiesenberg January 26, 2019

Hi George,

Thanks for your answer, it's just like you said. I didn't understand how the plugin works.

I thought, I can simply display the logged time in tabular form. Just like the plugin does, but only with the data from logged time. It would be perfect.

I understand your approach. I am a software developer and manager. As a software developer, I find this approach great because I am in the JIRA workflow all the time.

We (and I) use the logging of time also for non-software development. When I'm on the road, the network doesn't always work and I can't always start tasks when I start them, for example when I'm working in an airplane or train or taxi. I would also like to be able to log a phone call from yesterday evening. As a software developer I can almost always choose when to start a task and start it consciously and focused. As a manager I can't always do that. Sometimes I get a call and then I have to work 45 minutes on a task and then I want to log the time afterwards.

And now to the why. At the end of the sprint I would like to see (in my personal retrospective) how much time I have invested in planned tasks and how much in unplanned ones. My goal is to reduce my unplanned time to a minimum, even as a manager. In my opinion, unplanned work results to mistakes, waste of time and money more often than (well) planned work.

I want to be a role model and be transparent for everyone as to how much time I have invested in which topics and whether I have focused on my goals (related to my OKRs - Objectives and Key Results) or whether I am "fuzzy" and have worked on the "wrong" topics.

regards,
Stephan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events