(Automation for Jira - Service Desk - Assign issues to teams based on issue type and priority

René Baudner November 12, 2019

Hi experts,

I am currently looking into "Automation for Jira" and looking for a way to automatically assign issues based on: Workload of a team, the priority of an issue and the issue type (application support and more).

I would imagine a check of a team queue like: Check how many "Critical" issues are there and from what issue type, if there are more than 5 of "application support" in "Critical" do the same check in the other team's queue and if there fewer than 5 assign it there. Anyone done that?

Cheers,

René

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2019

René,

I think the way you want to implement is quite complex, wouldn't it be simpler to give each ticket a weight based on the issue type and the priority and then assign tickets based on the weight that each team has?

Also fully automating this might be tricky, i could imagine that all your teams are fully booked, what will you do with a new incoming critical ticket.

Keep in mind that in automating stuff like that you need to think of everyting.

But automation for jira is a great add-on, i use it almost every day so its indeed a great starting point to program behavior like this

René Baudner November 12, 2019

Hi Laurens,

Thanks for the quick response. Indeed, it is a complex scenario like a lot of "if/then/else".

So I might start with the smaller version by partially automate the assignment by basic workload checking and the rest would be a manual task and team collaboration.

Thanks for looking into this.

Have a great day,

René

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events