Automation: Copy value of an Epic custom field to the Story, when adding the Story to the epic

Marco Ehmke December 18, 2020

Hello

I am struggling with following topic and I would appreciate some help.

I have an Epic-Story relation... and the same custom field on both issues.
What I try to solve is whenever a story gets linked to the Epic (Create or Edit), the story should receive the value from the Epic customized field and save it in the customized field of the story

My solution approach:

• Trigger: When "Epic Link" is changed on the story
  • Branch Rule: "For Epic (parent)"
  • In the branch: "Transition the issue to" with destination purpose "copy from Epic" 
  • Additional fields... I have tried several scenarios but each of them quits with an error

Any ideas how to solve it? 

Thanks

Best regards

Marco

2020-12-18 15_11_22-Project automation - Jira.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Chaimungkalanont
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2020

Hey there Marco,

You shouldn't need to use the "Branch on Epic" or the "Additional fields" section Edit. You should be able to "Choose fields from Epic" and click on it to copy from the Epic issue

Note that this doesn't work on Next Gen projects at present https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-2090

Automation_rules_-_Code_Barrel_JIRA.png

Marco Ehmke December 22, 2020

Hi @Mark Chaimungkalanont 

Thanks for your tip. I have removed the branch... but the field is a customized field and does not appear on the "Choose fields to set..." dropdown, because it's a databse field (I cannot change it).

So I must use the script in "Additional field". Any ideas how to access the Epic field to copy it down?

Thanks

Best Regards

Mark Chaimungkalanont
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 28, 2020

does not appear on the "Choose fields to set..." dropdown,

Ah okay I guess the field type isn't supported in that case. Getting the format of "Additional field" type correct will depend on the type of that field. What's a "Database Field" is it provided by another add on?

Any ideas how to access the Epic field to copy it down?

You can use a smart value {{issue.epic.My field}} will resolve to the "My field" value of your epic. However, as per my comment above you'll need to figure out what the correct format that the field will accept it.

Marco Ehmke January 4, 2021

Thanks a lot @Mark Chaimungkalanont , I appreciate the help and it works now.

I have added the full automationm for anybody who is interessted it.

Best Regards

2021-01-04 15_15_04-Project automation - Jira.png

Like # people like this
CHARAN_KUMAR.PULIPAMPULA_EXT
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 25, 2023

Hi Team,

I am unable to see the epic link field under the fist trigger action is value changes for.

is there any way to implement for the same?

Daryl Marsh November 14, 2023

@Marco Ehmke and @Mark Chaimungkalanont thanks for the great information. It worked great.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2020

Hi Marco - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you share the error you are getting? Also a screenshot of the Audit Log when you run it?

Finally, is this a Next-gen project or Classic Software Project?

Marco Ehmke December 20, 2020

Hi John

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my late response.
The error messages tells more or less always the same, the destination status could not be resolved. 

2020-12-21 07_37_46-Project automation - Jira.pngYour question is about our Jira Installation? It's not a cloud version, it's an installation on our company server (I have only administration rights for this Jira project)

Thanks

Best Regards

Marco

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events