Automatically transitioning an issue where its linked issue in another project is closed

icould October 17, 2017

Hi,

I have two projects, let's call them A and B. It rarely happens that some tasks in A project needs some additional work in project B. In this case, I have created an automation to duplicate the issue in project B and link it. This works like charm. Now, I want to do the following (I have 3 different scenarios to achieve the same):

- [project A] if the linked issue is closed, transition the issue to another status.

or

- [project B] if there is an issue closed and if there is a linked issue to project A then transition the linked issue in project A to another status

or

- [project B] if there is an issue closed and if there is a linked issue to project A then trigger an event

if the event is triggered, transition the linked issue to another status in project A

I tried to implement above ideas from top to bottom but I couldn't achieve any of those using automation for jira add-on. The first one, implementing the if part is easy but I couldn't figure out how to transition the linked issue (ideally with some criteria like if the linked issue is in project A). The second one is similar to the first one. The third one, triggering an event is feasible but trigger somehow needs to know which issue has triggered it so that it can check the linked issue then transition that issue into another status.

Could anyone help me how to achieve this? Either by guiding me implementing on of those 3 ideas or giving a fourth option.

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Scott Harwood
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2017

[project A] if the linked issue is closed, transition the issue to another status.

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 8.55.09 am.png

You should be able to use the same kind of rule for your other conditions also. Let me know if you need any help crafting them.

Cheers,

Scott

icould November 6, 2017

Hi Scott, 

Do you have an answer to my question below? And also can I specify the issues in which project to transition? In the current implementation, it doesn't check the target project. It just transitions any issues in any projects that are cloned.

icould November 6, 2017

Ok I found it. Thanks anyway.

Sebastián Delmastro November 22, 2017

I have the same problem @icould. How do you solved it?

Thanks!

icould November 22, 2017

Hi @Sebastián Delmastro

I can help if you post your audit log. If it is just the same as mine, then check your if query. You can also verify the query in Jira search, just to see if it returns anything.

1 vote
icould October 23, 2017

Hi Scott,

I have just tried what you have described but there is still something missing. The audit log says that "No related issues could be found". I believe it simply says there is no link found in the RND-407? But actually there is a linked issue. Can you shed some light please?

Note that the linked issue is in another project. 

2.png

Ben Wagner
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 12, 2019

I am also having this issue.  Did you end up getting a resolution to this?

Vasco Nunes May 8, 2019

Same problem here

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events