Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs & Careers Month discussion: As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Viewing page 2 of 2

37 comments

Comment

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2023

Love the question @Angelie Stephens 

When I was young I wanted to only be a doctor! When I would go to the doctor, I loved how I was treated and really wanted to do that for a living so I could make people feel better! Well, I tried it out and went to a trade school to become a a medical assistant to "dabble" in medicine and see how I like it. Turns out, it's a good thing I only "dabbled" because I absolutely hated it and was not good at it at all! That is when I decided to go to Arizona State University and get a "real" degree and now I'm in IT! What a whirlwind that was. Thanks for helping me relive those moments! They really did shape the career I have now and I don't know that I would be where I am today without that experience.  

Like # people like this
Prabhu Palanisamy _Onward_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 16, 2023

I wanted to be a truck driver. India is a diverse country with so many languages. I thought I could go visit places and get paid!

Like # people like this
ABR March 12, 2024

@Prabhu Palanisamy _Onward_ that's a wildly beautiful idea! Here's a high-five from a fellow proud Indian!

Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2023

Really love this question, even though I did not have a dream job.

I'm still not sure if this today is the job. I really love change and I welcome it. I had the opportunity to try a lot of jobs in the last years and and it was so much fun.

Like # people like this
Rodrigo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2023

Fun question! 

As a child, I always wanted to be a policeman. Unfortunately, the social situation in Mexico makes it a bit more difficult/risky, plus it requires a specific body-type for the situations found here :D

Now I'm in Germany, and maybe one day I can volunteer there just to fulfill that dream. Difficult yes, but thankfully not as dangerous.

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Rosana Aira September 19, 2023

I wanted to be a mathematician or a physicist.

Like # people like this
Pragya_Malhotra
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2023

Always wanted to be a Doctor :-)

Ryan Perry September 20, 2023

I always dreamed of being a philosopher and it lead me into the world of Agile. So I guess I'm living the dream.

dodgeball-philosophy.gif

Saralie S.
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 20, 2023

I always had a different aspiration growing up! I wanted to be a fashion designer, teacher, news anchor, etc. 

Like # people like this
Rachel McDonald September 28, 2023

I wanted to be a zoologist when I was younger. Then I got to college and the chemistry just killed me and I changed majors. LOL

I should have been a cryptozoologist. Travel the world, look for mythical creatures, not find any....and just repeat the cycle over and over. What's not to love?

Like # people like this
Rodrigo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2023

Didnt knew that Cryptozoologist existed! Written down for my possible retirement ideas :D

Sue Wilson October 2, 2023

I wanted to be a grade school teacher.  BUT, when I graduated high school at 17, my stepfather made the decision that I was going to college for computer science since "I wasn't old enough to make up my own mind" and he refused to let me become a teacher?!

Here I am, many years later, working in the software industry.  The irony is not lost on me.  ;-)

Like Rodrigo likes this
Neghena drawio Diagrams October 2, 2023

I wanted to be two things- an actress (even attended one of those scam auditions where they make you pay for acting classes) and a marine biologist. In second grade, I do not know why I was adamant in becoming a marine biologist, maybe because it sounded cool and fancy haha.

Like # people like this
Rodrigo
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2023

Still taking acting classes on the side? Sounds like a fun idea, and perhaps a nice hobby to have in these times :)

ABR March 11, 2024

Interesting! Hmm...let me see!

Initially, like as far back as I can remember, I wanted to be a professional story-teller! Now as I grew, I learnt the skill and kept telling stories (more writing them in school, college magazines) but didn't have the courage to get published! 

As a professional, I first joined as a junior copywriter in an ad firm, again telling stories in a different form! Then after dabbling in some other stuff, I turned into an actress and trainee script-writer, telling stories in another format! Then I became a freelance writer, the stories changed platform but never left me! As a primary teacher, I made my stories my most honed tool for teaching each and any subject and successfully left a permanent love for learning in my little students! Today as a tech-writer in an IT firm, I still tell stories albeit in a more structured, tailored technical format, probably the best thing about my line of work.

But now, I'm thinking of getting some of my stories published and out into the world to see if they can survive on their own! Fingers crossed that time should be soon now! Wish me luck!

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events