Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 Early Career Lessons from my Atlassian Summer Internship

My name is Sarah, and I was a summer 2023 business analyst intern at Atlassian. This summer was a great career experience for me—by which I mean a great learning experience filled with surprises. I'm a senior this year at Rice, and I have to admit, I didn't originally plan on a career in tech. But this summer taught me three things that really surprised me:

IMG_9011.jpg

1. Tech is Filled with a Variety of Opportunities for New Grads

I have a confession.…I don’t know how to code. But that's okay. There is a common misconception that people in tech jobs must have a technical background. I too had this misconception when I began recruiting for intern roles during my junior year of college. The great thing about Atlassian, and other technology companies, is the wide range of interesting roles available for new graduates and college students to explore the tech industry, regardless of their background. I worked alongside product marketing, product management, program management, engineering interns and more! Students represent the future, and I feel so grateful to work for a company that acknowledges the distinctive perspectives that fresh graduates and students can offer, as well as their potential to grow.

1. Remote Work Does Not Mean Lonely Work

As a remote intern in the greater Philadelphia area (no, it’s not always sunny here!), it’s been amazing to collaborate with people from across the country and world as Atlassian is a remote-first workspace. Working remotely this summer has taught me a lot about time management, the importance of reaching out to coworkers just to ask how they are doing, and always checking the time-zone on an invite. All in all, I learned that remote work does not take away from community behind the work.

1. Collaboration is 🔑 

My internship also taught me the importance of collaboration and understanding my team members' perspectives. At Atlassian, each intern is assigned a project that offers professional growth and learning opportunities. My project was heavily focused on collaboration, as I worked on a change management plan that required insights from all team members. Fortunately, the variety of Confluence templates available were amazing in facilitating this collaboration.

img_4308_720.jpg

Bonus lesson: how learning can help you test out career options

As a rising senior in college, the foremost question on my mind is, "What do I want to do with my career?" In addition to the responsibilities that come with academic life, I used to believe that I had to follow a predefined career path based on my previous experiences. However, my internship experiences this summer have taught me that stepping outside of my comfort zone is achievable with the help of supportive team members who are always willing to answer my questions. My goal is to find a career path that allows me to continually learn and grow from the guidance of others on my team.

I used to believe that I had to follow a predefined career path based on my previous experiences.

One way to discover the most suitable career path is by exploring product training and certification. Atlassian University provides a range of courses that can aid in advancing your career and unlocking new job prospects. Whether you're a student or just a lifelong learner, dig into the practice or product area that interests you to see where you might land next. Considering becoming a Jira administrator? There's a learning path for that. Eager to dig into agile ways of working? Your first course is on this path

Let me know in the comments: What's the thing you wish you knew about your career when you were my age?

Explore your next career step with Atlassian University

20 comments

Comment

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2023

Thank you for sharing this article, @Sarah Bartos ! I found it very useful and motivational for students and people who are looking to explore and change their career paths.

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2023

Thanks for sharing!  The IT computing career path is ever evolving right now.  AI is right on the cusp of flipping IT upside down.  Having other options and exploring them is a great way to see how anyone can fit in all of the different areas of IT.

Like # people like this
Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2023

Great to hear from others who are taking advantage of internships in the field. I love your points and they are well taken.

Thanks for the share.

Like # people like this
Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2023

Thanks for sharing @Sarah Bartos and the insights. 
It was very interesting to read.

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2023

Thank you, @Sarah Bartos !  Happy to read that you enjoyed your internship!  I would have loved to do something like this in my college years.  And it's OK if you don't know how to code ~ you don't necessarily need a technical background in Tech  (though it helps).  I started at ground floor and learned as I went.  If it interests you, there are tons of opportunities which are useful and can be applied in most industries!

Like # people like this
Emily _ DevSamurai
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 18, 2023

Valuable input! Thank you

Like # people like this
Sayed Bares [ServiceRocket]
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2023

Very invaluable guidance, appreciate your willingness to share your insights with us.

Like # people like this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2023

Thanks for sharing @Sarah Bartos 

It is a boost to new members and freshers 

Vikram P

Like Summer_Hogan likes this
Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2023

Thanks for sharing

Pragya_Malhotra
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2023

Thanks for sharing @Sarah Bartos ! Stepping outside of comfort zone opens up new directions that were not seen earlier.

Prabhu Palanisamy _Onward_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 21, 2023

Inspiring. Onward and Upward @Sarah Bartos

Ryan Perry September 21, 2023

Great article @Sarah Bartos and thank you for sharing your insight. The one thing I wished I knew about my career while I was younger would have been to focus more on my brand and media presence. 

Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2023

I wish I knew I didn't have to stress so much about the technologies I chose to learn about during school. My career has moved so far from what I learned in school, I wish I could tell younger me to just relax a bit and that everything will be ok.

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2023

Great article @Sarah Bartos! I am so glad you enjoyed your internship and it is great to see how much you learned! Thank you for sharing.

If there is one thing I wish I knew about my career when I was your age it would be that there were internships! I think I would have greatly benefited from an internship and I wish I would have done one! I could have found my first job in tech a lot easier I think.

Manoj Gangwar
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2023

Thank you for sharing!! 

Bert van Dijk _TMC_nl_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2023

Hi @Sarah Bartos ,

A very nice article. Very good to read.

Rachel McDonald September 28, 2023

Remote work definitely doesn't mean lonely work! :)

I'm an introvert, so remote work is perfect for me. I don't "need" that face-to-face, actually in the same room, level of being around people. I communicate with my team constantly but I'm able to take a step back from the computer when it is getting to be "too much."

I am always amazed when people say being remote is lonely. How are you not talking to your team constantly? Either actually talking to them in a Zoom meetings or chatting with them in Slack?

Extroverts might see it differently. But for me, remote definitely isn't lonely!

Cassie the Jira Mechanic
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2023

Love it  I agree remote work doesn't mean lonely work. Infact I have made amazing work connections turned into friendships all over the US and world for that matter!

Sue Wilson October 2, 2023

This is a fantastic article.  Anyone doing an internship should read this! Great thoughts & feedback @Sarah Bartos .  Thank you for sharing!

Hrishikesh Tavar February 9, 2024

Thanks for sharing! it will surely help freshers.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events