how is enabling a text gadget helpful and what are the risks

hi all,

we have a user requesting to enable the text dashboard and says it is useful for reports and dashboards. i read the documentation and i'm not following how this can be useful. since it says there are security risks involved , i would like yo make a decision based on pros and cons.

we have set the create shared objects permission for all logged in users and our JIRA is internal to our network

please provide input.

thanks !

1 answer

1 vote
Alexey Matveev Community Champion Dec 06, 2017

Hello,

The Text gadget lets you add custom HTML to your dashboard which means you could write any script using html and javascript. For example you could add links to a page or draw a custom form in your dashboard, call any resource from your network(or internet if internet access is available). The possibilities are limitless.

There can be danger because you can add arbitrary HTML which could potentially make your JIRA system vulnerable to XSS attacks. If it is in your internal network, I would not be so worried about it.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,316 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot