favorite filters not compiling

John Anderson March 25, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: JIRA Dashboard and Gadgets Troubleshooting

Fvorite filters are not compiling

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2016

I don't understand what you mean by "compiling".  A filter gets you a list of issues.  Doesn't do anything else.

We have a user that is getting a blank page when she tries to view her favorite filters. The problem is inconsistent but more often than not the filters or issues do not appear. We rules out this being a browser issue. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2016

It doesn't rule out the browser, but the intermittent nature strongly suggests the network rather than browser.  To rule out the browser, try others - if you get the same behaviour, then it's definitely not the browser.  If one works and one does not, you have a culprit.

The browser is the best place to start too - try profiling the page load.  Firebug has a neat time logger that shows you how long each element on a page is taking to load - if you can find out that one of them in particular is a problem, it's a start.  If it just tells you the whole page is slow, or the server isn't responding, then you know it's definitely not the user's machine.  Next step is to look at the logs for the server side, see if anything is breaking in there. 

Also, what is different about this user - if she's the only one having the problem, what is it?  Huge list of favourites?  Not an admin?  etc.

I apologize, I was presenting this incorrectly.

Turns out after speaking with her again this is constant. I had her clear her cache, reset in Internet Options, try incognito window as well as FF and IE all with the same results. I emulated her user and can see the Gadget for her favorite filters spinning away trying to load and then it will eventually go to an empty box with the "Create a Filter and Manage Filters" at the top. 

All other gadgets on her dashboard load quickly.

We are not having any other users reporting this issue or any Network latency.

I emulated this user again.  I first created a new dashboard (Favs, now deleted), added only the Favorite Filter but it still didn't load.  I changed the settings on the filter:

• no refresh interval and issue count on - No change
  • no refresh interval and no issue count - Loaded immediately
  • refresh interval on and no issue count - Loaded immediately 

This issue somehow seems tied to the issue counter but not sure why that is or why it would be an issue now.

The user has confirmed that this is loading for her now but is not ideal seeing she cannot see what filters have issues.

MEDITECH ADMIN TEAM March 25, 2016

Hi Nic, she is the only one that seems to be experiencing this to the point of not being able to load her gadget.  I have loaded this gadget on to my personal dashboard and I have 283 filters where she has only 40.  Mine loads within 10 seconds, but if I remove the issue count, it loads immediately.  Not sure why her filter of 40, without high issues counts, would be taking so much longer, ultimately not loading at all.  She is not a system admin or a project admin, but I don't see how that would play a part.  I am still researching but if you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2016

Ok, the thing I would look at next is a two parter:

First, I'd try to work through her permissions to see the issues returned by the 40 filters - as an admin, do you get different number counts to her (because project permissions or isssue security is hiding things from her)?  Also, are you sure the counts on all of these filters are relatively small?

Second, I'd take a copy of her list of favourites and then un-favourite them all.  Add them back, one at a time, re-testing the dashboard each time. When it goes slow, you know it's the one you just added.

MEDITECH ADMIN TEAM March 28, 2016

I can work with her to see about adding back filters one at a time to see if one is the culprit.  I did find https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-43040 that seems to address this issue.

Suggest an answer