ask a question

Michael_Bannen January 4, 2017

Hello,

We have JIRA for the Cloud and are wondering if we can limit the creation of and Epic type to only a certain group?

Thank you

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2017

Similar discussion was had yesterday - see https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/45948115

Oleksandr Shatov June 16, 2020

Thanks!

0 votes

I'm not sure they answer my question because in the response,"In the post-function of the "create" transition of the issue workflow you can add validations to check if the user belongs to the group which can create the task issues or vice-versa"  The way permissions are broken down is if a person can create an issue type, he can create ALL issue types including Epics.  We want to limit a group to create all BUT Epics. If this can happen "out of the box" then fine but if programming or scripting is involved then it might not be a viable solution for us.

Please advise.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2017

Yes, that's the point of the answer.  Off the shelf, you can't configure this - if a user can create, they can create.  But you can set up a workflow that fails a validator and hence stops someone creating a certain type. 

Which validator checks the issue type against a group?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2017

There aren't any.  What you want is to check that the user matches a group.  I don't know if there are validators available on Cloud that can do that.

Deepali Bagul May 7, 2018

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

I use the validator user in the field (reporter) should be at least in one of the project roles (admin, PM) on the create issue . It worked for jira server.

Like Ulrich Agricola likes this
Ulrich Agricola April 1, 2019

[Jira Software v7.5.3]

Hi all,

looks like this is exactly what I need!

As far as I understand, the settings need to be done in "Project settings - Issue types - Epic", then edit the transition "create" in epics workflow.

Unfortunately I cannot find any corresponding setting neither in "Validators" nor "Post Functions".  Validators only allow:

• Category is not Empty
  • File Uploader is User
  • File Uploader is in Group
  • File Uploader is in Project Role
  • Issue Matches Structure Query
  • Permission Validator
  • User Permission Validator
  • Verify Number of Attachments in Category

I tried "Issue Matches Structure Query", but cannot lay hold on reporters role with a query ...

Could you please explain, which setting you used to achieve e.g. only jira-administrators can create epics?

Many thanks in advance

Regards
Uli

Suggest an answer