Structure: Extent Epics with Stories does not work

Nora Tombers October 22, 2019

Hey Everyone!

I would like to create an automated hierarchy of our planned Work. Working according to Portfolio SAFe, we have Portfolio, Program and Team Items. The Portfolio Items are represented by an Issue Type called "Portfolio", the Program Items are "Epics" and the relevant Team Items are in this case by the type "User Story". The hierarchy looks the following:

• Portfolio 1
    • Epic 1
      • User Story 1
      • User Story 2
    • Epic 2
      • User Story 3
      • User Story 4
    • Epic 3
      • User Story 5
      • User Story 6
  • Portfolio 2
    • Epic 4

In my structure, I first insert on the highest level all "Portfolio" Items by using the automation Insert through "Insert issues: issue Type = Portfolio".

Secondly, using Extend I linked all "Program" Items under the Portfolios. Since we have linked Portfolio and Program level manually in every item through "Issue Link-Reference", I could use "Add issues linked by Reference: parent relates to children".

Lastly, I would like to further extend the Epics underneath the Portfolios with their Stories. However, If I add the Extend "Add issues belonging to epics" nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong, or what am I missing?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 vote
Ilya Turov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2019

Are user stories in the same jira project as the epics? Because if not, my first guess would be that you don't have Structure turned on in those projects (you can check it via Structure administration page)

0 votes
Mario O.G
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2020

Hi Nora,

As Ilya well said, there is a chance that the project(s) for which the stories belong to are not enabled to be used in Structure.

You can double-check this by opening: Administration > Structure > Enable/Disable Structure in Projects.

If perhaps that's not the case, kindly open a support ticket with us by writing to support@almworks.com. We will be glad to investigate the matter further.

I hope that helps.

(Thank you for using Structure).

Mario O.G

[ALM Works]

Suggest an answer