It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Structure: Extent Epics with Stories does not work

Hey Everyone!

I would like to create an automated hierarchy of our planned Work. Working according to Portfolio SAFe, we have Portfolio, Program and Team Items. The Portfolio Items are represented by an Issue Type called "Portfolio", the Program Items are "Epics" and the relevant Team Items are in this case by the type "User Story". The hierarchy looks the following:

• Portfolio 1
    • Epic 1
      • User Story 1
      • User Story 2
    • Epic 2
      • User Story 3
      • User Story 4
    • Epic 3
      • User Story 5
      • User Story 6
  • Portfolio 2
    • Epic 4

In my structure, I first insert on the highest level all "Portfolio" Items by using the automation Insert through "Insert issues: issue Type = Portfolio".

Secondly, using Extend I linked all "Program" Items under the Portfolios. Since we have linked Portfolio and Program level manually in every item through "Issue Link-Reference", I could use "Add issues linked by Reference: parent relates to children".

Lastly, I would like to further extend the Epics underneath the Portfolios with their Stories. However, If I add the Extend "Add issues belonging to epics" nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong, or what am I missing?

Thanks!

1 answer

Are user stories in the same jira project as the epics? Because if not, my first guess would be that you don't have Structure turned on in those projects (you can check it via Structure administration page)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

273 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you