Linking Story to Multiple Tasks: When All Tasks are Closed, Can Story Auto Update to Closed? How?

Christopher Alan Gray December 5, 2017

Simple Example:  I create one Story and link 4 tasks to it, requiring that all 4 tasks be closed before Story can be closed (not sure which type of link to use at this point).  After putting all Tasks through the workflow and closing them, can the Story automatically update to show Closed (or do I have to manually move it to Close)?  Also, if only 3 of the 4 tasks are closed, I don't want to be able to Close the Story (since not all 4 tasks were closed).

I have tried various linking scenarios and I cannot get this logic to work.

Trying to understand how linking can automatically update all issues types in Jira:

i.e., Closed Stories update an Epic; Closed Tasks update a Story; etc...

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2017

Hello,

It is not possible out of the box but in my opinion the easiest way is to use Automation for Jira plugin

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.codebarrel.addons.automation/cloud/overview

Christopher Alan Gray December 7, 2017

Thanks for the input.  I am not a System Admin so cannot execute the Add-On.  I have requested this and will see if it does satisfy our need.

Suggest an answer