JIRA cloud encryption of data at rest

Rami Levy February 18, 2016

Hello,

I've read through the https://www.atlassian.com/cloud/security page as well as the privacy policy, and understand that the JIRA data in the cloud is encrypted in transit and that backups are encrypted. But it isn't clear to me whether the live data at rest is encrypted. There are many related questions here but I haven't found a definitive response.

Thank you!

4 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
lauren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2019

Hi @Rami Levy and @Si Tarighi

I just wanted to provide an update. 

We recently announced that Atlassian now encrypts customer data at rest.

Data drives on servers holding customer data and attachments in Jira Software Cloud, Jira Service Desk Cloud, Jira Core Cloud, Confluence Cloud, Statuspage, OpsGenie, and Trello use full disk, industry-standard AES-256 encryption at rest. To learn more, please see our Security Practices page.

We post updates related to security, privacy, compliance, and more in our Trust & Security group. Feel free to post related questions and feedback there! 

Best,

Lauren

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jelena Vatavuk May 19, 2016

I've reached out to the support team to ask directly - the answer was a no. Data at rest is not encrypted in the cloud solution.

Carnell Washington January 11, 2018

Is this answer still valid?

Michael Daoust October 22, 2018

yes, its posted in their documentation.

shari_anderson January 31, 2019

Michael can you provide a link to the documentation you mention above? Thanks. 

1 vote
Ryan Kennedy May 18, 2017

We have the same question/concern as our team often needs to store senstive data in JIRA - so we decided to build our own solution.

We are an Atlassian Solution Partner and we've just released something that might help. It's called Team Secrets and it protects sensitive file attachments in JIRA with end-to-end encryption for attachment uploads and 2 factor verification for downloads.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/io.teamsecrets.jira.prod/cloud/overview

Please try it and let us know if this helps!

Warren W. Weiss April 2, 2018

Ryan,

I was going to ask, but I think I've answered my own question.  Namely, is this for the self-hosted or Atlassian-hosted JIRA instance (it's the latter) and is is useful in conjunction with JIRA Service Desk (yes).

We'll give this a look.

Si Tarighi May 2, 2019

Is there any product out there to encrypt the Jira data at rest for the Cloud? we are planning to move our Jira instance to cloud but the encryption is a deal breaker for us. at this time, our internal Jira server is well protected and is here at our data center. i appreciate if someone can share the information with us. Thanks

Like Brant Messenger likes this
0 votes
Si Tarighi May 20, 2019

a note from Atlassian:

We are working on making encryption at rest available for our cloud customers but as of today, we don't offer encryption at rest and only encrypt your data when it's being moved. We hope to have an update on this within the next few weeks but can't commit to when that will be available for all cloud customers.

Suggest an answer