How to update sub-task parent with automation?

Blazej September 1, 2022

Hi! Is there a way to update parent issue of a sub-task via automation? Found similar questions but they seem to be relevant for epic links. I tried this (as described here), but it doesn't work although the rule says it's completed successfully. Tried with id instead of key also, no change.jira.png

Thanks for any help!

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Hello @Blazej 

Welcome to the community.

The issue you referenced is for Jira Cloud, while your post is tagged as Jira Server. Which hosting platform are you using?

Can you show us the details of the Audit Log for your rule, and also all the components of the rule?

Blazej September 1, 2022

Hi, thanks! Indeed that post was for Cloud, I missed that :/ I don't think we are using Cloud. I also checked the Audit as you suggested and after all it contains errors, which is weird because when running the rule a small popup tells me it completes successfully:

jira4.png

The Audit complains that parent field does not exist. 

jira2.png

I am pretty sure I got the components right because the email sent contains correct values for issue keys. Do you know if there is any way to achieve what I want with a non-Cloud solution?

jira3.png

Sorry for all the newbie mistakes I only started my adventure with automation today :/

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

I suspect it is not possible to change the parent of a sub-task via automation on Jira Server/DC. I found that there is an issue for Jira Server that is similar to the one you found for Jira Cloud.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-68763

So far I have not found any references that show how anybody was able to accomplish changing the parent of a sub-task through automation.

Blazej September 2, 2022

I added a comment to that issue. Guess that's all I can do for now, thanks for all the help Trudy!

Suggest an answer