How to restrict groups available to project administrators in "users and roles"?

In the "users and roles" section of a project, a project administrator can manage the groups/users assigned to the roles.

Is it possible to restrict the groups/users a project administrator can use to add to the available roles?

Here is the use case:

• There are internal groups to our company (company staff): jira-internal-1-users, jira-internal-2-users etc...
  • There are also external groups (clients, providers): jira-external-1-users, jira-external-2-users etc...

Can I restrict a project administrator from adding an external group to his project?

This should be possible only by the general JIRA administrator for security reasons because internal projects contain critical information not to be disclosed in any way to external users. 

PS: the same question goes for specific external users instead of groups.

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

I am afraid not.  The permissions to see and use groups is not that granular.  There are a few cases where it will limit a user to only be able to use groups that they belong to,  but that is about it for now.   I hear atlassian are looking at this,  but I don't expect it to change soon. is about it.   

I would be interested to know how you can limit users to the groups they belong to. Can this be applied to the project administrator use case I mention?

I am sorry, I was not clear there.  It is not a setting or configuration element.  There are just some places where a user cannot select groups they are not in.  It's a hard-coded selection and it only applies in a handful of places.

Thanks Nic! For the record there is an open ticket at JIRA for the feature:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-39813

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted 12 hours ago in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

39 views 1 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you