How do you do capacity planning?

Matt Evered September 9, 2011

How do you do capacity planning? What functionality do you use to determine if people are over or under utilized? Or if a release or sprint is going to be impacted by resource contraints? Or when you need to find more people to work on the project?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Azwandi Mohd Aris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2011

For a start, I'd suggest to look at using Kanban in GreenHopper - http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH052/Adding+Constraints+to+your+Task+Board+Columns+%28Kanban%29. Also, you could make use of the statistical marker on the planning board to group issues by assignee - http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Using+Statistical+Markers+to+Group+Issues

Matt Evered September 10, 2011

Thanks. Do you know if there's a way to group issues by assignee group, ie. dev group or qa group?

Azwandi Mohd Aris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2011

No worries! Looks like grouping by groups is not possible at the moment

Kris Asvadi February 12, 2016

Hi Aris, I am new to JIRA and for the past few days have been trying to set a team scrum capacity planning unsuccessfully. I have been using the Tempo planner but cannot find a process to set everything step by step and struggling to get it working. Can you help?

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2012

We're also using Tempo plugin as it produces some nice reports where you can see what time everyone has logged across the team. It will also tell you if & when people are under their "planned" time.

We're also starting to use it to schedule work in the future as well, which in turn feeds into theur utilization data.

Suggest an answer