How do I automate setting an issue's start date as a linked issue' due date?

McKenna Hogan May 15, 2024

Hi - I am wanting to create an automation where whenever a link is detected (specifically a block) then the start date of one issue is set as the due date of another. I would also like the start date to be able to change automatically if the due date changes.

For example, if issue 1 blocks issue 2, then whatever due date is set for issue 1, should also be the start date for issue 2.

Thanks in advance for the help!

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2024

Hi @McKenna Hogan -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What problem are you trying to solve?  That is, "why do this"?  Knowing that may help the community to offer better suggestions for that problem.

Until we know that...

I recommend first discussing this with your Jira Site Admin as you may already have Jira features / addons to meet the need.

Next, it might be possible to do what you ask using automation rules, and the complexity is in the details and edge cases.  Different cases may lead to a need for multiple rules to solve this.  For example, what to do...

• when a link is added
  • when a link is deleted
  • when an issue is created with links
  • when an issue is deleted from Jira that had links
  • when a Due Date is changed
  • when a Start Date is manually changed / overwritten on a linked issue
  • when there are multiple issues linked of the same type (i.e., multiple upstream blocking linked issues)
  • when there is a tree of issue links (i.e., multiple chained links)
  • etc.

Perhaps consider these before discussing the problem with your Jira Site Admin to help clarify the need.  Thanks!

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events