How can I show Remaining Estimate in Backlog view instead of Original Estimate?

Deleted user August 7, 2017

When grooming the Backlog or scanning it for tasks to pull into a sprint, the estimate I need to see on each Jira is Remaining Work, not Original Estimate.  

The default view shows the Original Estimate.  If I have a large task which has been worked on previously and is mostly complete, then the original estimate isn't useful - I just want to see what's left.  How can I show Remaining Estimate in the Backlog view?

I've found others asking similar questions, but haven't yet found an answer.

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2017

Hi Martin

Hopefully I can help you with this. As an Admin, go to Board Settings (the 3 dots in the top right hand corner for Cloud Jira) and choose Card Layout. You then have 2 dropdowns, one for the Backlog view and one for the Active Sprint view. Click the dropdown for the Backlog view and scroll to the Remaining Estimate field. Click Add and then click Back to board. You can configure up to 3 extra fields to show in each view.

I hope this works for you.

Deleted user August 8, 2017

Hi Warren

Thanks for that!  Not sure why I didn't see it myself, but happy to be pointed to the answer anyway.  

I'd been chasing a setting to adjust the value which shows on the right, but as it looks like that's fixed, just being able to see the number I need somewhere is enough.

Cheers

Martin

henk 555 March 30, 2018

hi,

yep, this works for the Scrum board, but not for the KANBAN board. You can add the field, but it's not shown in the details (the task with a story). Is this a bug or do I make a mistake ?

Grt.

Henk

Like # people like this
henk 555 March 30, 2018

HI,

I found the solution.... if you expand the swimming lanes in the KANBAN board, then you see the detailed tasks in the middle of the screen, including remaining estimate. On the right side of the screen the task is shown in detail.

grt.

Henk

Deleted user February 26, 2020

Works, but does not show up story's sub-task remaining estimates ...

Example:

I create story. Stories need to be broke down into subtasks. Therefore it does not make any sense to me to estimate the story itself. I rather estimate the subtasks.

With the above desribed solution, the board do show "nothing" for the remaining, because this only get's the remaining for the story itself, not the subtasks :-(

Is there an easy way without additional addons to solve this? Or is there a different/better way to work with stories and subtasks?

br,

Alex

Janet Meyer August 19, 2022

Hello,

I don't seem to have the Board Settings option when I click on the 3 dots. I only see Configure board. Is there an option from here to select only the remaining estimates to show in the backlog view?

Like # people like this
3 votes
Andrey Dekhtyar _Rozdoum_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 22, 2018

Hi @[deleted]

On behalf of Rozdoum team want to point your attention to our addon Agile Remaining Estimate Counter that was created specifically to address a need of properly calculating remaining estimate. Hope this might help.

regards

Andrey

Rozdoum Team

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2018

Hi @Andrey Dekhtyar _Rozdoum_,

We appreciate your contributions to this thread, however I would ask that you please review our guidelines for Marketplace vendors and solution partners.   Specifically we want you to identify yourself as being affiliated with this product that you refer to.   You can do this either by renaming your account to include your vendor name, or by adding a short snippet that discloses that your relation to the product that you are suggesting to use here.

Otherwise your contributions could be continued to be flagged as spam.

Thanks,

Andy

Like Deleted user likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events