How can I show Remaining Estimate in Backlog view instead of Original Estimate?

When grooming the Backlog or scanning it for tasks to pull into a sprint, the estimate I need to see on each Jira is Remaining Work, not Original Estimate.  

The default view shows the Original Estimate.  If I have a large task which has been worked on previously and is mostly complete, then the original estimate isn't useful - I just want to see what's left.  How can I show Remaining Estimate in the Backlog view?

I've found others asking similar questions, but haven't yet found an answer.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Warren Levy Community Champion Aug 07, 2017

Hi Martin

Hopefully I can help you with this. As an Admin, go to Board Settings (the 3 dots in the top right hand corner for Cloud Jira) and choose Card Layout. You then have 2 dropdowns, one for the Backlog view and one for the Active Sprint view. Click the dropdown for the Backlog view and scroll to the Remaining Estimate field. Click Add and then click Back to board. You can configure up to 3 extra fields to show in each view.

I hope this works for you.

Hi Warren

Thanks for that!  Not sure why I didn't see it myself, but happy to be pointed to the answer anyway.  

I'd been chasing a setting to adjust the value which shows on the right, but as it looks like that's fixed, just being able to see the number I need somewhere is enough.

Cheers

Martin

henk 555 I'm New Here Mar 30, 2018

hi,

yep, this works for the Scrum board, but not for the KANBAN board. You can add the field, but it's not shown in the details (the task with a story). Is this a bug or do I make a mistake ?

Grt.

Henk

henk 555 I'm New Here Mar 30, 2018

HI,

I found the solution.... if you expand the swimming lanes in the KANBAN board, then you see the detailed tasks in the middle of the screen, including remaining estimate. On the right side of the screen the task is shown in detail.

grt.

Henk

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

164 views 1 17
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you