Epic Status Mark as Done is not changing Status to Closed

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2013

I am testing JIRA 6.0.8 standalone using JIRA Agile plugin version 6.3.2.1. I configured a separate workflow for Epic Issue type. I have observed two issues.

1. When I close Epic issue, the epic is still showing on the plan mode of epic panel.

2. When I select Epic Mark as Done, the epic is not showing on the epic panel but the status is not changing to Close.

How to configure this?

2 answers

1 vote
Paul Greig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2013

Hi Srinivas,

I believe the properties on your workflow step for 'Closed' do not allow editing to occur once the step is reached.

You can either perform the operations in the order of 'Mark As Done' within JIRA Agile and then update the issue to 'Closed' within the Issue Navigator.

Alternatively, you can view the properties of the 'Closed' workflow step from project Workflow editor. You should see an entry:

jira.issue.editable set to false

You can edit the behaviour on the Closed step, however this will also allow edits to occur once the issue has been marked as closed.

Cheers,

Paul

0 votes
John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2013

Srinivas,

Please take a look at HowTo: Track Epics in the Control Chart for a way to make Epic Status follow Workflow Status, this really simplifies the process and makes the Control Charts and other charts possible to use with Epics.

This way, you just transition them like anything else and the Epic Status is handled in the background.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2013

Yes, you can have a workflow set the Epic Status to reasonable values but I haven't see a way to change the actual status of an Epic based on the Mark as Done link. I suppose a could have a periodic task that searches for all Epic Status = Done issues with no resolution and the Closes those Epics. Bit of a hack though.

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2014

I personally believe this is another example where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. In one case you have Jira Agile where you mark stuff as "done". Still, that "action" is permitted or not based on the status of the Jira issue itself. So if the epic is closed you are still allowed to _try_ and mark the epic as done, but the action doesn't go through due to it's status. Closing an epic in "issue view" should close the issue in "Jira Agile" view. Can be closed with a additional workflow? Sure - fine. But still - this should be out of the box from my point of view.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer