Delete issue

Cameron Dixon October 28, 2016

Hi I need to know how to delete an issue.
In previous forum posts the answers were 1) Check permissions (I am the admin and have done this)   2) delete it from the "actions menu".  

I have no idea what is the "actions menu" and cannot find when I search.
I imagine it is this menu with "Log Work" in it.
image2016-10-28 13:16:36.png 

5 answers

5 votes
Chris Solgat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2016

It does not appear that you have the correct permissions.  In your screenshot, there should be a "More" button in between the Assign and ToDo buttons at the top of the issue screen.  When you say you have admin rights, can you be a bit more specific as JIRA actually has three levels of Administrator.  There is a Project Admin, JIRA Admin, and a JIRA System Admin.
If you only have Project Admin permissions, go into the Project Administration Screen, find the Permission Scheme, click on it and it should give you a read-only view of the Permission Scheme.  Then you will need to see what User/Role/Group may have been mapped to the Permission Scheme.  Unless there is a Project Role that is mapped to the Delete Permission, you will not be able to grant yourself access to the Delete Permission. 

4 votes
jhilbert March 30, 2020

I am the Admin and project lead, and I can't find where to delete an issue anywhere. Super frustrating UX.

Larry Seibold May 5, 2020

I agree.  Same boat here.  And no response in 4 years.

Agathos Technology June 10, 2020

I am the same, there is a lot of talk about the safety of the importance of not deleting but still they do not say how it is done or how it is parameterized

Jaromir Toke July 9, 2020

Agreed. This is one of many super frustrating things in Jira. No solution on horizon. Atlassian doesn't care.

sigfriedseldeslachts August 7, 2020

If you are on a self hosted instance you can go to the permissions section of the project and you'll find Delete Issue. Edit the permission and give access to Project Lead.
Then open the issue (not in the sidebars) and click on more, you should be able to see the option to delete the issue at the bottom. (Obviously only if you are project lead).

Iurii Moskalenko February 23, 2021

Using Could solution, Granted Delete Issue to all users, still can`t see an option to delete,

2 votes
Rostyslav Sipakov November 3, 2020

Hey there,

You need to add yourself to the project as an administrator. See description step-by-step here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-do-you-delete-issues-on-Jira-Free-plan/qaq-p/1209175#U1524096

Best, Ross

0 votes
Agathos Technology June 15, 2020

My version is not free, can you please tell me how to parameterize jira to have access to elimination of incidents.

0 votes
Ki So June 15, 2020

Can not delete on the FREE version : Permissions aren't editable on the Free plan. Upgrade to customize project permissions.

Suggest an answer