Cannot always transition a task into in Progress that has been assigned to a different user

Andy Watson April 22, 2013

I am currently using an evaluation copy of jira with greenhopper plug in. I want to be able to move tasks assigned to a different user from To Do to in progress. But there are some tasks i cannot move. Sometimes i can move tasks assigned to different user's sometimes i can't. I can't see any obvious differences but this is critical to the way we work.

I am using the default workflow and haven't set up any conditions or validators for transitioning through a workflow

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2013

If you are able to transition an issue is determined by the condition of the workflow transition which you want to do with the issue.

For the default workflow this could be the Edit Issue permission for the Start Progress transition. If it's not the default workflow, you should look into the corresponding workflow, what conditions have to be met to do the transition.

Henning

0 votes

I am using the default workflow, but just in case i have done something stupid, how do i look for conditions for moving tasks? Is there are reason it would be so inconsistent. i.e. 2 tasks can be assigned to the same different user and i can move one and not the other?

0 votes
Edwin Stol April 22, 2013

Are these different projects, and do you have the required rights in this project to transition the issues? (You'll need at least Edit issues)

These issues are in the same project. In different projects i haven't had an issue and i am the JIRA adminstrator and have admin rights across all projects.

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2013

By To Do which status do you mean in the default workflow? maybe it's something to do with the permission scheme.

by TO DO i mean open. TO DO is how it is labelled in the greenhopper agile board

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2013

I'm seeing my default workflow and it indicates that only the assignee can start progress.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2013

You can check if any fields is needed to do the transition... Maybe one issue has this field populated and the other not?

Suggest an answer