Code wrapping in Jira Editor

Hello Atlassian community,

I'm Ahmud, a product manager on the issue experience team in Jira Cloud. Today, I'm thrilled to announce a highly requested update to improve code readability within Jira.

Introducing Code Wrapping!

We have heard your feedback and understand the frustration caused by long code blocks requiring horizontal scrolling. That's why we have introduced a new feature that gives you control over how code is displayed.

Starting today, you have the option to choose whether the text is displayed in a single line or wrapped up, eliminating the need for the horizontal scroll bar.

How does it work?

Within the code macro, you will notice a new button that we have added. This button serves as a toggle for code wrapping. By simply clicking it, you can switch between single-line display and wrapped text, depending on your requirements. Currently, the code wrap button is only available in view mode not in edit mode.

Code wraps.gif

Your Feedback Matters!

We value your thoughts and feedback on this new addition. If you encounter any issues or have suggestions for improvement, please don't hesitate to let us know in the comments below. Your feedback is crucial in helping us refine our features and provide you with the best possible coding environment.

The code wrapping feature is now available, and we encourage you to explore it during your next coding session.

Thank you for your continued support and for being a part of our community.

Happy coding!

Thanks,
Ahmud Auleear
Product Manager - Jira Issue Experience Team

9 comments

Alex Harper August 22, 2023

Great, been following this feature request for a while!

Just one issue for me, when the code block is a single line the icons are rendered over the text which makes them hard to see. See example:

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 10.12.50.png

Like # people like this
charlotte
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 22, 2023

Nice! Would like being able to wrap the text in edit mode as well.

Like # people like this
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2023

@Ahmud Auleear 
Great !! Any plans for this feature to be available in Data center ?

Like Kalin U likes this
Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2023

I agree with @Alex Harper about how the button overlays the code.

Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2023

Agree with the icons/buttons not being that visible as they 'overlap' with the content in the code block. Maybe just make a button background with full opacity instead of having it transparent?

Ahmud Auleear
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2023

Hi Everyone, 

Thanks for pointing out the bug about how the button overlays the code. We have shipped a fix to this issue. You should see this fix in your instance now. 

@Rilwan Ahmed I'll make sure the DC team is aware of this feature but currently, there are no plans to introduce this feature to DC. 

Thanks, 

Ahmud 

Like Rilwan Ahmed likes this
Rosa M Fossi September 21, 2023

Hello @Ahmud Auleear !  Thank you for this feature...  I do have a question: It looks like the default right now is single-line.  Is there a way I can set my default to wrap? 

Like # people like this
Maya Kuper
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 3, 2023

I do a lot of editing blocks of text in Jira tickets that need to be plain text, and I use Code Snippet formatting to do this. Lack of wrapping in Edit mode makes this very hard to do. Basically I have to copy/paste into an external editor. Would love to see a Wrap display option in Edit mode as well as View mode.

Like # people like this
Jason Cornez December 18, 2023

Thanks.  Now would it be possible to add a vertical scroll bar for long code blocks?  Right now, one has the option to put the code block in an expand widget, but that's not ideal.  A vertical scrollbar for the code block would be great.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events