Announcing the waitlist for Jira Work Management

Hey there Cloud Community members!

We’re excited to give you the first glimpse of the new home for business teams on Jira — Jira Work Management. Jira Work Management is the next generation of Jira Core, redesigned and reimagined to accelerate the agility of business teams. It’s friendly, fast, and intuitive, yet it keeps all the best Jira features that you know and love. The waitlist for this new product concept from Atlassian is open today.

Jira Work Management combines cutting-edge work management capabilities with the power and customizability of Jira to create a new standard for business teams managing projects. Marketing, HR, Finance, Design, Legal, Sales, Operations, and other teams of any sort will find it easy and intuitive to get work done in this new Jira product built just for them.

email-jwm-logo@2x.png

What is Jira Work Management?

This is the first Jira built for business teams, by business teams. We crafted this new Jira experience directly with customer design partners of all sizes and industries, as well as internal Atlassian teams of every type — including our own Jira Work Management teams. Now, we want to give you early access.

What are the changes?

The Jira Work Management team is excited to bring you three brand-new views (list, timeline, and calendar), beautiful forms, delightful background colors, and a packed roadmap to follow them up. All designed specifically for business teams and the way they work.

List view

In-line editing is the new standard. Our list view makes updating and adding new tasks fast. Teams can show or hide columns, drag-and-drop tasks, and sort or filter their work. Visual changes to the list view, such as sorting, filtering, and altering columns, happen locally for each user. Our users were tired of messed up filters in spreadsheets and so were we!

Your teams will see the list view front-and-center when they start using Jira Work Management.

Customer insight: Done tasks should be removed from the default list view. They’ll be gone! Behind a filter, of course.

List view.png

Timeline view

We’ve redesigned some Jira features for business teams, which means this ain’t just your simple roadmap. Tasks and Subtasks are now visible on the timeline view as bars, and issue data is displayed on the bars themselves to keep staying in context easy. Plus, dependency management and clear issue hierarchies are staying to make sure this view stays full-powered.

It’s a Gantt chart to surpass them all, combining the best of power and usability.

Customer insight: Data should be represented on the bars themselves to spend less time searching. Almost finished.

Timeline view.png

Calendar view

For a long time, we’ve hidden calendars in Confluence or dashboards. Now, they’ve made the prime-time. Create new tasks from empty spaces, see the current status of work at a glance with color-based (and icon-based) bars, or quickly switch to “Today” from any date.

Customer insight: Customers also want weekly and quarterly options in addition to the monthly visual. We’re working on it!

Calendar view.png

Forms

Simple requests need a simple solution — our new project forms have you covered. Project admins can make a new form for each project in seconds by dragging over relevant project fields. You can change how field names appear on the form, spend time making your description perfect with a full-fledged editor, and rearrange fields instantly — all with autosave to back you up.

Customer insight: Customers wanted to preview their form before sending out the link. Permission granted.

Form view.png

Board

Fewer updates here, but we've added lozenges to the column names so it's easier than ever to see what's a To-do, In progress, or Done status category. We also added support for seeing how many subtasks relate to a card on the board. Expect big changes to the board later this year!

Customer insight: Clicking into issues to see if they had associated subtasks took a long time. Not shown here, but we fixed that!

Board view.png

Background colors

Last but not least, project background colors are finally here! Project admins can choose from 14 colorful themes with the click of a mouse.

Customer insight: Customers couldn’t agree on the best colors, so we just added as many as we could find.

List view with color (1).png

What comes next?

This is only the very beginning. We’re thrilled, delighted, chuffed, ecstatic (take your pick) to bring this new product concept to your instance and organization. For the release date and future roadmap of Jira Work Management, stay tuned!

To join the waitlist, visit our new homepage.

For technical details, you can check out our Atlassian Community FAQ post.

To learn behind-the-scenes info about the creation process, sign up for our Team 21 breakout session.

Thank you to all of our customer design partners (Nvidia, Dave Ramsey, Instacart, Kaltura, Bold, Accenture, and Ginko Bioworks, to name a few) and illustrious community leaders / members such as @John Funk , @Rodney Nissen , @Andrew Kendris , and @Robert Haddan. We couldn’t have done it without you.

50 comments

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2021

It's was an honor and a privilege to participate and provide feedback. Y'all are gonna love it!!  :-)

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2021

So, who do I have to bribe to get bumped up in the wait list?

Asking for a friend. 😅

Like # people like this
Srikanth Ganipisetty March 5, 2021

Awesome!!

Like # people like this
Andrew Kendris
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2021

Kudos to the team for their fantastic work on this 👏 Our business teams are really going to thrive with these more intuitive/seamless ways of working! 

Thank you @Chase Wilson for sharing this announcement and providing me the opportunity to work with such a great group!  

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2021

The new "List view" reminds me of Stiltsoft's Spreadsheet editor add-on. (Hopefully that comes to Data Center one of these days...) 😊

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2021

Hi @Chase Wilson 

Interesting, and... Which versions of Jira Cloud will support Jira Work Management out-of-the-box, or will this be an add-on capability (with additional costs)?  It was unclear to me from this post or the linked one on FAQs.

Thanks, and best regards,

Bill

Like # people like this
Chase Wilson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2021

Hey @Bill Sheboy, Jira Work Management is a complete redesign and rebrand of Jira Core. Jira Work Management will retain the behavior of Business projects today, in that every licensed Jira Cloud user will be able to collaborate on Business projects at no additional cost. You will also be able to buy Jira Work Management independently in the same way Jira Core can be purchased.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2021

Thanks @Chase Wilson   Sorry to parse words; to confirm your statement, "...every licensed Jira Cloud user will be able to collaborate on Business projects at no additional cost..."

• Did you mean every licensed Jira Core user (soon to be rebranded Jira Work Management)... or
  • Did you mean every licensed user of any Jira Cloud product... would be able to use Business Projects?

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2021

Awesome work !

Like Chase Wilson likes this
Chase Wilson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2021

@Bill Sheboy for now it's the latter option you listed. Jira admins can currently make Business projects from Jira Core, Jira Software, and Jira Service Management. Here's some more information on the topic.

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2021

That's great! A new and redesigned Jira product for Business teams. Looking forward to seeing it in action soon.

@Chase Wilson Is Jira Work Management also going to replace Jira Core DC with Jira Work Management DC edition in upcoming releases?

Like Dave Liao likes this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2021

Super cool and clean interface. I have joined the waitlist to know more about JWM.

Piper Crombie-Varisco March 7, 2021

I like this new feature, and I can't wait to see whats to come!

Chase Wilson
Atlassian Team
March 7, 2021

@Taranjeet Singh glad you're excited, we are too! Jira Work Management is a cloud-only product. Right now there is actually no Jira Core DC deployment option and there are no plans to build a DC variation of Jira Work Management. If that changes in the future we'll certainly let you know! More Jira Core licensing information here.

Like # people like this
Bearcat M_ Şándor March 8, 2021

While I do have Jira Software, I seem not to have Jira Core in my monthly cloud billing statement.  There doesn't seem to be a way to add it.

Also, would I be able to use calendars (and other new business features) in Jira Software?

Like Attila Bordás _Everit_ likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2021

@Bearcat M_ Şándor  - Jia Core is included if you have Jira Software. It will show up as Business type projects. 

Like # people like this
Bearcat M_ Şándor March 8, 2021

@John Funk When I go to create a new project and I select "Classic" or "Next-gen" the only options I have are Kaban and Scrum.  If I go to "manage projects" and select "Business" in the types filter, I'm invited to try a month of Jira Core for free.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2021

That's quite strange. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/jira-software-evaluator-resources/jira-software-vs-jira-core-license

"For licensing: Business users who are not doing any agile or development work can simply leverage JIRA Core licenses. You can buy Core licenses separately. For those who will access both sorts of projects, they have to buy JIRA Software licenses, and cannot simply have Core licenses. JIRA Software users can access both types of projects."

Like # people like this
Chase Wilson
Atlassian Team
March 9, 2021

@Bearcat M_ Şándor right now the new views are exclusive to Jira Work Management. Thanks to @John Funk for jumping in on the other questions! @Bearcat M_ Şándor , when you're selecting a project template, you can select "Business" instead of "Software" at the top to create Jira Core projects.

Like # people like this
Bearcat M_ Şándor March 9, 2021

Thank you @John Funk and @Chase Wilson

I activated Jira Core and have full access now.  I'm eager for the List and calendar views to find their way into Jira Software as well.

Like # people like this
Sutton, Andrew March 12, 2021

I appreciate what I see here and like the direction it's going.  But I'm a Jira Novice even though I'm a 29 year IT veteran...  Is this going to work with our existing instances of Jira or is this a new and different product?  

Like # people like this
Geert Kraaijeveld _ Xperit March 12, 2021

Looks very promising. Will this also be available in Jira Software projects?

Our organization is implementing ERP software and we need kind of a project with both these functions AND the software functions.

Best.Geert

Like # people like this
Chase Wilson
Atlassian Team
March 15, 2021

Hi @Sutton, Andrew , not a problem — Jira Work Management will work seamlessly with your existing instances of Jira. While Jira actually consists of three different products (Jira Software, Jira Service Management, and Jira Core / Jira Work Management), you'll be able to make Business projects with the features listed above from any of the products. More information here.

Like # people like this
Chase Wilson
Atlassian Team
March 16, 2021

@Geert Kraaijeveld _ Xperit right now this functionality is only available for Business projects. Unfortunately, I'm not sure when or if these features would exist within Jira Software. 

Like Sutton, Andrew likes this
Robert March 17, 2021

Looks promising!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events