Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to see issues on kanban board based on parent status

Stig Espenhein November 7, 2023

Hi 

I have a company-based project and I would to see all the stories in the project based on their parent's (epics) status. The result should appear on a kanban board ideally with a quick filter that could filter epics not in progress. 

As a first step I've tried to make a query in the issue navigator:

project = rep and parentstatus = "in progress" 

This gives me a list of stories with their belonging epics. However, the status of the epics doesn't match the parentstatus specified in the query (neither in the epic status field nor in the epic workflow status field). Where exactly is parentstatus derived from on each epic?  

I've also tried with project = rep and Epic Status = "in progress" which only gives me a list of epics without the underlying stories. 

I know that epics are defined as features in our issue hierarchy. Could it perhaps have something to do with this? 

Thanks in advance 

Best, 

Stig 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2023

Hi Stig,

There is no way to do this as you have defined.  Kanban boards work off the issue status, nothing else, so you are always going to see that, not the parent issue status.

You can get a display of it though, if you're willing to do a bit of coding or setup.  If you have Automation, Scriptrunner, or another scripting tool, you can set up a (scripted) field that takes a copy of the epic/feature status down on to each issue.

If you do that, you can then at least put the field on the cards, and use it in swimlanes and quick-filters.

Stig Espenhein November 9, 2023

Hey Nick - Thanks for your help.  

If the kanban board is only working with issue status, where can you then use this parentstatus field and is it relating to the issue status when talking about epics?

Best,

Stig

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2023

You can use the parent-status scripted field in

• displayed on the card, so you can see that while the issue is in "to do" itself, it's parent is "in progress" for example
  • quick filters
  • for the card colours
  • swimlane definitions

I usually use it in quick filters or on the card, I usually have other uses for swimlanes and colours.

But my main use is off-board; I use it to find issues that are mismatched with their parent - like if a story is "in progress", but the parent is "to do", I want to update the parent to show it is in progress because one of its child issues has been started.

0 votes
Danut M _StonikByte_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 7, 2023

Hi @Stig Espenhein

You could try these two gadgets offered by our Great Gadgets app. 

Wallboard Gadget - This gadget can display a board contents, grouping the items by epics. So will have to enable swim-lanes by epics, it also supports quick filters.

image.png

Work Break Down (WBS) Gadget - this gadget displays the issues from a filter by their hierarchy in form of Epics > Stories, Tasks > SubTasks along with their status, thus giving you a quick overview over the epics and their content.

You could just try to configure the gadget to use the filter of your Kanban board.

Please note that this app offers many other gadgets that you will find useful. See the articles from our blog, to make an idea. I can be a great asset for your team or company.

Danut. 

Stig Espenhein November 9, 2023

Hi Danut - Thanks for inputs. 

0 votes
Muhammad Moazzam Hassan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2023

The Query will be, 

Project = rep and status = "In Progress"

Stig Espenhein November 7, 2023

Unfortunately that only gives me issues with that exact status. However, I'm trying to query based on the status of the parents (epics)

Muhammad Moazzam Hassan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2023

Then you have to build a long query which include all statuses like,

Project = rp AND (issuetype in (Epic, Task) and status = Backlog) OR (issuetype in (Epic, Task) and status = "In Progress") OR (issuetype in (Epic, Task) and status = Done)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2023

I'm sorry, but I do not think you have understood the question.

Stig wants to search by parent status, not issue status.  Your queries are all looking for issue status.

Muhammad Moazzam Hassan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2023

Hi @nic 

Yes, you are right.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events