Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm unsure if Jira Work Management is the right tool?

Tim Chaffin August 9, 2022

TL;DR If an executive comes to us and says "I have a new project X, here's what it's all about, let's get started." I want to be able to create a project, using a template, that already has 90%+ of the work (issue types and issues) defined. I want to use forms to take parameters, and customize tasks to the project. I want to be able to automate, wherever possible. I want to use Project dashboards to illustrate progress to leaders. When I template tasks, I want to use past experience to give rough time estimates. Then, at a high-level be able to roll up those estimates and give a rough ETA to leaders.

----------------

I've done my best to fully research this product, I've watched a few demo videos, read top-level documents, and I've tinkered with it by creating a POC project. I'm still unsure if it fits the bill. Here is what we need:

We need to track, automate, and show the progress of tasks related to software development projects. That's super bland, but, here are the details.

When a new project is created, I need tasks automatically generated with it. A project will go through phases; from project management, architecture, security... all the way to the application support team who will care for the app. These tasks don't vary much between projects, and so, when I create a new project, I need templated tasks created to represent commonly occurring units of work e.g. Create an architecture diagram - category Enterprise Architecture.

In addition to templated or canned tasks, it would be excellent to illustrate relationships between tasks beforehand. For example, "You cannot create a cloud resource, until the CyberSecurity tasks are complete" - or blocker relationships.

Wherever possible, we want to automate. So, imagine a task "Create project repository". The experience with this kind of task would be to inherit variables from another task; or present a form which a user would fill out. Then, after that task is approved, Jira would perform some back-end automation designed by our team in Automations to create a Bitbucket repository and / or project automatically. 

Is this the right tool? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2022

Hi Tim,

You said, "We need to track, automate, and show the progress of tasks related to software development projects. " That is all we need to know.  :-)

You need to create a Jira Software Company-managed project, not a Jira Work Management project. 

Tim Chaffin August 9, 2022

So, that would be within the standard Jira Software product. 

Can you elaborate on why this is a better fit?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2022

JWM will not integrate with Bitbucket. And you cannot edit the board. Designed to be VERY simple, but you need something more complex and flexible. 

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 10, 2022

Just to add to John's answer, this comparison was recently posted here in the community. From all I see, you'll likely end up with Jira Software, but it may still be useful.

Best,

Hannes 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events