Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I control issue type hierarchy within Job Work Management?

Callum Wells March 7, 2022

In Jira Software you can customize the hierarchy of issue types although the feature doesn't seem to be available in Job Work Management.

Essentially I want to able to create the following:

Epic

- Story

-- Task

--- Sub Task

This article offers guidance of setting it up for Jira Software but how do i do it on job work management.

Configuring initiatives and other hierarchy levels | Atlassian Support | Atlassian Documentation

Also in the timeline view when adding a task under an epic it only allows me to create a sub task but in Jira software it only allows me to create a new story/task etc

Cheers,

3 answers

4 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2022

Hi @Callum Wells,

As John mentioned, you can indeed add multiple issue types to a Jira Work Managed project, but as you noticed, you do not have control over the issue hierarchy there. Epics are a Jira Software feature and they are not visualised in the timeline or issue list in Jira Work Management.

Also, to build a hierarchy like the one in your example, you would need a marketplace app like Structure. While Jira Software Premium does include Advanced Roadmaps - a roadmapping tool that lets you expand Jira's built in issue hierarchy above Epics - it is not possible there to add Stories above tasks. They will be at the same level there.

To summarise: if hierarchy is the key thing you want to achieve, either choose Jira Software Premium with Advanced Roadmaps or have a look at the Atlassian Marketplace.

Hope this helps! 

Callum Wells March 8, 2022

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your answer, very helpful although i'm a little confused because I can see the epics in the timeline on Jira Work Management, do you mean that while you can see them you can't nest a story underneath them as you can in Jira Software?

I feel like I'd rather keep the marketing project separate to the Jira software as it muddies the water fro want or a better phrase - i thought the whole idea behind work management is that its separate.

Cheers,

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2022

Yes indeed, it is the hierarchical representation that is missing.

Your idea to keep the marketing out of software does make sense, as it is not software indeed 😊.

3 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2022

Hi Callum - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Sure, you can setup that hierarchy in Jira Work Management just like you can in Jira Software. 

You will need to edit the Issue Type Scheme to add issue types you want for the project. So you can either edit an existing scheme or create a new one. 

To edit, you can click on the Project Settings for the project, the click on Summary. 

There you can click on the Issue Type Scheme at the top and process through the process to add an issue type and save the scheme. 

To create a new scheme, go to Settings > Issues > Issue Types Schemes

Then click on the Add issue type scheme button to the top left and follow the process. 

Hi John,

Thanks for coming back so soon, although I can only get so far as "click on the Project Settings for the project" there is no summary option see the screenshot.

I am an admin for the Job Work Management project but potentially need to be giving more permissions?

Screenshot 2022-03-07 at 20.17.17.png

Hi John,

I might have not been 100% clear here - apologies if I'm right.

The problem is not been able to have an Epic, Story or Task etc but been able to nest Stories underneath Epics and Tasks underneath Stories etc.

I have the issue types set up but I have no control over the hierarchy.

Screenshot 2022-03-07 at 20.26.48.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2022

Ah, thanks for the clarification. And I also see that this is a Team-managed JWM project, and you will not have the summary for that like with regular JWM proejcts. 

Regardless, you are never going to be able to nest Tasks under Stories as they are the same level of standard issue type. Even with Advanced Roadmaps you will not be able to do that. You can creae a level above Epic, but under Epic you can have either Story or Task and then Sub-tasks under that. 

Like Mateus Vieira likes this
Callum Wells March 8, 2022

How do I get a Story under an Epic? This doesn't seem to be possible.

I'm happy for a story to be under an epic and a sub task under a epic or story too but I can't achieve this... When I have an Epic I can only add a subtask NOT a story.

Also can I make JWM not team managed. What functionality does this restrict?

Clint Jones April 29, 2022

I'd like to echo the request here. I too am looking to integrate Epics and Stories into a Business board. The hope here is to nest stories under epics as they would be in a Software board.  You can see the Story is separate from the Epic it would be great to be nested in the List view. 🤞 

Jira Epic_Sprint.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2022

Typically, I do not include Epics on the same board as stories or tasks because they often follow different workflows. But since Business projects only allow a single workflow for ALL issue types, it's okay for them to show up. But you are not going to be able to see the hierarchy with JWM boards right now (nor probably for a while). 

Be sure to click on the Give feeback button on the left side menu to voice the functionality that you would like. 

Like Joseph Corina likes this
1 vote
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 8, 2023

Hi @Callum Wells and @Clint Jones

I understand that your requirements likely apply "across" the various views of a JWM project, but just to put this out there: If you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, you can easily create a hierarchical list view for your JWM projects (and any other projects, really) using the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. In a sense, it has a few things in common with JWM's "built-in" list view - however JXL works in (and across) projects of any type, and comes with a wide range of advanced features, including support for (configurable) issue hierarchies.  

This is how it looks in action:

default-hierarchy-v2.gif

Note that JXL's issue hierarchies can either be based on Jira's "default" parent child relationships (that's e.g. epic/story, or story/sub-task) or based on issue links - so you can really create any issue hierarchy that you want. These issue hierarchies can also be combined with JXL's other advanced features, such as issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, and conditional formatting

As has been pointed out above, there's other apps that can help with this, too. You may already know that you can trial any app for free for 1 month, and depending on the size of your size, it may be free forever. So if an app is an option for your, perhaps try a few and see which works best for you.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Hannes

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events