Why do Epics show up in Active Sprint view?

Bar T December 5, 2018

Previously I didn't see Epics on the Active Sprint view (perhaps it was backlog view). I'm seeing the epics on Active Sprint view now, which is kind of cluttering up my board. 

Even the items which I did not change the issue type are showing in Active view (but not backlog).

Wondering if Epics should be showing up there or not? 

1 answer

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2018

Hi  @Bar T,

Do you choose Base Swimlanes on Epics in your board configuration?

epic.jpg

Bar T December 5, 2018

@Ollie Guan I have a board for Epics (Works as expected) and one with Assignee. The assignee board shows epic tickets in active view. Just wondering if this is expected as I don't recall it from the past. Also saw some posts saying it may be due to changing ticket type at some point.

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2018

Hi @Bar T,

Can you use screenshots to explain your problem? Maybe community partners can help you locate problems and propose solutions faster.

Liber December 6, 2019

If an epic appears on the active sprint board you can remove it by:

- opening up the epic page

- click on the SPRINT status (in epic side bar) and deleting the current sprint that says there.

That should do it. Any tasks pertaining to the epic will still remain in the active sprint

Like # people like this
Eldon Wong January 8, 2021

@Liber 's solution worked for me! Thanks!

Like Liber likes this
Jennifer Wang
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 12, 2022

Hi! I'm having the same issue, and do not see the "sprint status" in my Epic. Where is it located? 

I've also checked my Swimlanes and it's only toggled to Stories, so not sure why my Epics are showing up on my board either!

Shane Hutchison
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 10, 2022

Same problem.

Our swimlanes are based on stories, not Epics, but those epic cards are still showing in the active sprint.

And I don't see Sprint status on the Epic page at all.  Even when I click to show additional fields, it is not an option.

Like alexis_massari likes this
Bryant Eadon March 27, 2024

Yes, I am experiencing this issue too.

This occurs because the filter for the board selects EPICS too.  You can eliminate the EPIC by turning those into swimlanes, select "Settings for <board>" and "Swimlanes", then switch to "Epics".  This will group the Stories by the Epic, and eliminate them as a card.

Suggest an answer