What field is changed when I move up a jira in the Backlog?

Phil Hilton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 15, 2018

I thought it would be Rank (CF10901), but when I switched the order of two jiras in the Backlog and ran a query sorted by Rank, there was no change to the order of the query output.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2018

The Rank field is a custom field created by Jira Software.  Yes it is used to determine the order in which issues appear on an Agile board.   I would first recommend that you take a closer look at your board filter.   By default, Agile/Software board are 'Order by Rank Asc', however it is possible that you might be ordering your board by a different field, and/or that your Jira installation might have more than one rank field.   In which case it is possible that moving the issue up or down on a board isn't actually changing the this specific field as you suspect it is.

You could also customize the issue navigator in Jira (search results) in order to show the Rank field value.  These values can be hard to read since Jira is using a lexographic ranking system to give each issue in Jira a relative value in relation to all other issues.  However this way you could see what specific values each issue has before and after the change on the board.

1 vote
Bharath Kumar Kappala
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2018

I think ranking is just for the boards it would not effect the order which you see the issues when you run the filter.

Suggest an answer