Using context path recommended?

Michael Vils June 25, 2019

Hi there

We are running a Jira and Confluence instance. At the moment they have different base URL's configured.

Is it recommended to use context paths within the URL (instead of different base URL's)? Such as..

<base-URL>/jira
<base-URL>/confluence

Or are there any known issues when using context paths? Maybe using different base URL's is more stable? I don't know.

Thanks and regards,

Michael

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2019

They're not recommended, but equally, no other system is recommended.  It is entirely up to you and your preference of urls.

Currently, Adaptavist's internal systems are on their own urls (not quite these, but equivalent - jira.adaptavist.com, confluence.adaptavist.com, bitbucket.adaptavist.com, and so on).

But the last place I worked wanted the services to be seen as an integral part of the company site.  So they had   site.org/jira, site.org/confluence, site.org/bitbucket, which fitted in better with their site.org/marketing, site.org/people and so-on.

Neither scheme (or others) are "better" technically, just go with what works best for you.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2019

Hi @Michael Vils 

I personally prefer separate urls, one less thing to worry about.

You may want to read this page for similar information: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/JIRA-and-Confluence-behind-Apache-without-context-path/qaq-p/220586

Ravi

Suggest an answer