Swimlane from Business Project

John-Hunter Kennedy April 11, 2018

I have set up a few swimlanes on a Kanban board but one of the swimlanes from a Business Project is not displaying.

I have read on a few other posted questions that Business Projects do not allow for swimlanes. Is there a specific setting that I am missing?

Thanks

3 answers

0 votes
Peter Wilczynski August 24, 2021

Simple answer is Jira doesn't care much about non-software projects. 
There is no reason why wouldn't they make setting up swimlanes/workflow easier rather than manually adding the workflow steps then --> manually adding the status and then again --> go back to workflow and assign the workflow step to the status. 

It is ridiculous how complicated a simple functionality is in Jira. 

Their other product called Trello is an example of how this should work. Unfortunately using Trello is not suitable for bigger teams and planning projects. 

0 votes
Suman Palle February 7, 2019

I have a similar issue. I tried using "Business project" and chose to use "Document approval workflow". Although that workflow suits my need I wish to rename the swim-lanes based on my work stages. I don't seem to have an option to rename these swimlanes in "Business project". My other kanban and scrum boards allow me to re-configure the names of swimlanes as I wish.

Anyone has any clue?

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2018

What do you mean one of the swimlanes form a Business project? swimlanes belong to a board, not projects.

I have a board configured with swimlanes from other boards, for issues that are assigned to my team. All of the swimlanes from other boards that are "Software Projects" are displaying. The swimlane from the "Business Project" board is not displaying. 

I wanted to confirm if it is due to that board belonging to a "Business Project".

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2018

I do not understand how you configured swimlanes from other boards. Available options for swimlanes are

Queries,

Stories,

Assignees,

Epics,

Projects,

No swimlanes.

No options for configuring swimlanes from other boards. Are you on Cloud or Server? If Server, what is your Jira version?

I am on Cloud. It is based on Queries with the JQL:

project = "project_name" AND label = "label_name"

All of the swimlanes are displaying except the one from the Business Project.

Apologies for the bad explanation.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2018

Ok, now I understand the question. No, it is not connected to business project. Kindly check that your user can see issue in the business project and the filter for the board selects issue from the business project.

Thanks for your answer. The default board of the Business Project does not have any filter settings that I can access. 

Do I need to change this to a Software Project and configure a new board?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2018

No.  You can include the business project in an existing board, and swimlanes will work fine.

But, that board cannot be the board for the business project, as business boards do not have swimlanes.  It has to be a Scrum, Agility or Kanban board (with a filter that includes the issues from the business project)

Thanks for your reply Nic. Understood.

I'm kind of lost here. I've double checked all configurations and filters but the swimlane still does not appear when viewing the board. In the General settings for the Kanban board, under "Projects in board", it displays said Business Project.

Suggest an answer