Our instance clearly has parallel sprints DISABLED. However, there are projects with many active spr

mike sax January 13, 2022

1. How is this possible,  is there a plug-in that overrides the global setting ? 

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

Sprints do not belong to projects.  You don't need parallel sprints enabled to have issue ABC-123 in one sprint and ABC-234 in another.

Look at the boards and their backlogs.  That's where sprints live.  If you have parallel sprints off, you will find only one active sprint is shown in your backlog (and on the board).  If you have it enabled, you can have more than one.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

Can you provide a screen image that shows parallel sprints are disabled?

Can you verify that the board(s) you are looking at that show multiple active sprints are not boards that are combining data/sprints from other boards? I haven't worked in an environment that disallows parallel sprints, but I know the following:

1. Boards are based on saved filters.

2. Boards will show all sprints associated to the issues within scope of the board.

3. Perhaps your board is filtering for issues that are also in other boards, and subsequently picking up sprints from those other boards.

I'm not sure if the parallel sprints feature is looking at only the sprints created within the board, or considers that a board may be displaying sprints that were created in a different board.

What version of Jira Server/Data Center are you using?

mike sax January 16, 2022

See above, parallel sprints is not checked, and there are multiple active sprints in a single project. The filter does not include any other projects..... thanks for any input here, (perplexed) ---mike

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2022

Um, sorry to repeat it, but sprints do not belong to projects.  You need to look at your boards, the places that sprints are defined.

mike sax January 16, 2022

No worries,   I think my problem statement wasn't correct.  We have 1 backlog, in the backlog, 1 board. I see many active sprints even with parallel sprints disabled.  Another point that MAY be relevant is that it was enabled some months ago, then disabled (before my time here)... I'll keep digging,  but the board filter is as simple as it gets, project=project name. it's very likely I'm missing something here, just a pointer on where to look would be helpful 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2022

So, having many sprints across your instance is normal, every team could be doing their own sprint, that's what it is for!

I am no longer sure what the actual problem here is - could you explain?

Suggest an answer