Jira8 client memory leak with Internet Explorer11

Carine Kitieu July 1, 2019

Hello,

We have 2 problems using the JIRA8 client on IE11 that we don't experience using Firefox or Chrome.

• Bug 1: Inflation of Internet Explorer 11 memory while using the JIRA8 client. This memory leak causes the JIRA client to slow down continuously. Beyond 1.5 GB of memory usage of IE, the JIRA client congested and no longer responding to the user's actions

memory leak.png

• Bug 2: Blank page when opening some JIRA page like graphics (may be a consequence of the bug 1...)

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 2, 2019

Hi Carine,

I see that you have noticed using the IE 11 browser with a Jira Server 8 site appears to have a memory leak that is not reproduced in other browsers like Chrome or Firefox.

We are actually tracking this report as it relates to Jira Server in JRASERVER-64863.  However from reviewing this it looks like the problem is not isolated only to Jira itself, but rather this appears to have been a reported problem in several forums for other products:

As such, it looks like this might be a bigger problem with the way the browser handles data over time.  It would probably best to watch that bug ticket for updates to this topic.  

But I am interested to learn more about the details of your environment.  You mentioned this is IE 11, however the screenshots look more like the Edge browser to me.  Could you confirm the specific version numbers for both IE11 and Edge where you see this problem?  Are you using a 32bit version of the application or is there a 64bit version in use on your system that might help avoid this memory problem in a different way?

I also came across a broader list of edge specific issue tracking problems in https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/issues/?page=1&q=Internet%20Explorer

Have you seen this page?  It looks like it contains a listing of known performance limitations of the browser itself and some resolved issues already that appear to note updated versions that contains these fixes.   Perhaps there is already an update to this browser that might help here.

Andy

CNDSSTI-PTEST August 1, 2019

Hi Andy,

Do you know if there are some configuration to di in the IE browser ?

We still have the memory problem when we use IE 11 with windows 8.1 64 bits

CNDSSTI-PTEST August 1, 2019

We have still the issue and we are still waiting a solution.

Please let us know if there a nug is the 8.0.2 jira version in using version 11.0.9600 IE browser and what do you advise us to do ?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2019

I am afraid I do not have any special configurations of IE that would help here.   I do not have any more knowledge about if or when a fix for this might come.  I would still recommend watching in JRASERVER-64863 for any updates from Atlassian in regards to this.

In the meantime, perhaps it would be worth exploring alternative browsers such as Chrome or Firefox here.  It certainly feels like these browsers are far more commonly used over IE 11 or earlier versions.

Suggest an answer