Is there an option to color code fields in Cards?

Donata June 4, 2020

Hi,

Is there a way to color code or somehow highlight fields in Card? I am referring to 'Board Settings' --> 'Card Layout' field, where I can choose 3 different fields to be displayed so that I could immediately notice some of them? E.g., 'status' field would be in a different color?

Thanks,

Donata

1 answer

1 vote
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2020

Hi Donata,

Jira doesn't provide a way to colorize specific fields out of the box. I've just checked the Atlassian Marketplace and there are no apps for Cloud at the moment that provide that specific functionality either.

There are a few apps for the Server deployment of Jira that colorize the entire card based on field values. I didn't see any that went after just a specific field on the card.

That being said, the Status field is probably the best to be working with (unless that was just a random example). The board's columns are mapped to statuses, so based on the column the card is in, there's a built-in indication of what you can expect the status to be.

For changing the color of just an individual custom field on a card, using a userscript browser extension (like Tampermonkey) might be an easier lift than developing an app for Jira. I've had a look around the web and checked GreasyFork and OpenUserJS specifically (the two most popular user script repositories) and also didn't find any already-built scripts that do this specific thing. If you or someone you know is proficient with Javascript, I'd suggest writing a userscript to meet your need.

Finally, there is an open feature request to add the option to change field colors in Jira itself. I've listed this last because I find it unlikely that this will be built into the product. The feature request has been open for a year and a half already with only 2 votes. I'd suggest the userscript route as something far more likely to pan out.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events