In which order does a filter sort issues by label if issues have multiple labels?

Michael July 6, 2017

I am using lables to create a hierarchy for a large amount of issues (as with subtasks and epics you basically have only 3 levels). I am naming labels 1-label-name-level-1, 2-label-name-level-2 , 3-label-name-level-3. Unfortunately the issues are not sorted as expected when I create a filter and sort by issues. They ARE sorted alphabetically for the first label but from the second label on the sorting is not alphabetical any more. The issues are often sorted like this (lines are issues in filter, strings are labels):

1-Features; 2-Tagging; 3-Plugin

1-Features; 2-Localization

1-Features; 2-Tagging; 3-Module

I don't see the system which the issues are ordered by. I would find it intuitive if the issues would be sorted by the labels alphabetically which would be in my example

1-Features; 2-Localization

1-Features; 2-Tagging; 3-Module

1-Features; 2-Tagging; 3-Plugin

Does anyone know how I can get such a sort order for labels in my filters?

2 answers

1 vote
David Castell January 23, 2018

The sort order appears to be the same order in which Jira displays the labels on an issue. I tried to control that order by removing then readding labels, but that had no effect on the display order. I suspect it may be the order in which the labels were created.

I too would like to display issues in a filter, ordered by labels. And I'm willing to put my labels in order ... if the software would play ball.

0 votes
Christoph Schötz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2017

Michael, I don't but I think your approach is quite dangerous to fail... have you tried the structure add-on if you really need that much of hierarchy? Or  maybe using different projects? Or components and fix versions? You could try to write the hierarchy as the beginning of the summary too (even if this is also dangerous to fail).

Hope some of these suggestions help?

Cheers

Christoph

Michael July 7, 2017

Christoph, we haven't tried the Structure Add-On and we don't plan to. It's a money thing. I am talking about one big project and looking at it as such is the most logical thing. Components and Fix Versions is not what I would like to use. I am able to create the hierarchy with labels and it gives me great flexibility. The only thing I need is for the labels to be sorted in a alphabetical order. Writing down the hierarchy in the summery does not make sense. I would lose all the navigational and other benefits which I get from using labels.

Christoph Schötz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2017

Well then good luck, maybe ask the Atlassian support about the sorting of labels... 

Suggest an answer