If a project is suddenly only visible in admin but not under Projects or board, what can I do?

Andrew Evans October 16, 2017

After a reboot (a proper controlled shutdown and restart) of our Ubuntu server hosting Jira, Confluence, and Crowd, everything came back up fine, but now suddenly our main project is inaccessible.

The Kanban board is empty (saying there are no issues visible) and the project doesn't even appear under Projects.  It does appear in the Project admin area however and the permissions are all exactly what they should be.

I've manually queried the MySQL database and can see our issues for that project in there.

So what the hell has gone wrong and what can I do to recover it, other than restoring from a back-up which will loose all of today's activity?

I have already run a project re-index and a full re-index twice, before and after restarting Jira, but it did nothing.

Help!

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2017

Have you tried applying a different permission schema to the project to see if it becomes visible again to users with the proper permissions?

Andrew Evans October 16, 2017

No I didn't but as I was waiting for someone like yourself to very kindly answer, I did discover that the user group that we must be in to view this project was no longer linked to any user.

I manually forced a sync with Crowd and now we are all in the correct group and the project shows up.

So after all that, it seems to be an odd anomaly of a user database sync issue dropping a group that is configured in Crowd but lost in Jira.

Thanks for your answer though Brant.

Cheers!

Suggest an answer