How to get epic key, in story level issue

Nagaraju Reddy February 8, 2018

I have created new issue Epic, the new Epic  Issue ticket number is ABC-100,

In this Epic, I have created a new issue Story in "issues in epic",

I have created a custom field "text field" with the name "parent epic", this field I have associated to story level screen.

So when I created a new issue story in "issues in epic", i want to get "parent epic" custom filed value is Epic key(i.e ABC-100) at story level issue.

Kindly help me on this?

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2018

If you want to populate a custom field with the epic key you need an app like ScriptRunner or Power Scripts

A question, why do you need the epic key? Why not use the Epic Link field which already contains the epic the story is linked to?

M0214104 September 2, 2022

Hi @Mikael Sandberg 

This would be interesting for me as I need to synchronise Jira Data with SAP and other programms we use to get an overview.

However it seems impossible to find a way to simply show the "epic ID" in an column instead of the hyperlink - any idea how to extract that?

Regards

Kathrin

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2022

Hi @M0214104,

This is easily done using automation and a custom field. The automation can update the story with the epic id when the story is linked to the epic. 

Like M0214104 likes this
M0214104 September 8, 2022

That's a quite easy workaround. Thanks!

I now managed it very simply though with a formula in our Structure add-on and got a separat column with the epic key without any further workarounds.

Suggest an answer